Monday, June 15, 2009

Hallelujah, Laura's married!!

I know you've been thinking I've just been delinquent in blogging - but that's not the case. In fact two weeks ago I was on a business trip all week and last week I was "Matron of Honor" (sounds old, doesn't it... ) in my cousin's beautiful wedding at Bald Head Island, NC.

Now I'm back at work trying to get caught up so I can't blog about the whole shebang right now - but I'll give you a nugget to tide you over until I can get more time (and have other people remind me of all the funny stories... you know I can't remember anything...)

Picture it - we're at the rehearsal in this gorgeous, intimate sea-side chapel on the island. It's around 2:30 on a perfect afternoon. I'm Laura's "best girl", Chuck is Bill's brother/ best man. My cousin's Tim and Patrick are ushers. The readers are Bill's sis Susie and my mom.

NOTE: If you know my mom you will really find this even more amusing....

We've gone through most of the rehearsal. The minister is walking us through the last part. He starts " and I will turn Laura and Bill to face the congregation and say..."

random sound in the church: HALLELUJAH, HALLELUJAH, HALLELUJAH, HALLELUJAH...

Oh my god!!!!! After a second we all realize it's a cell phone ring tone!! Holy shit - It's apparently coming from MY MOTHER'S PHONE!!!

She has this ENORMOUS purple tote - not purse mind you - an f*#cking TOTE. She's digging around in it, trying to find her phone as it keeps on singing to us! Everyone is now laughing as we can't believe the timing.

The minister, not knowing it was my mother, leans to us and jokingly says "I wonder if she could find it faster if she had a BIGGER bag!"

HA!!!!

Well, eventually she found the phone. AND THEN proceeded to get up and answer it as she walking out of the church!!!!

Only my mother.

2 comments:

MadHatter said...

I CAN picture it. Good times, I'm sure!

WanderingGirl said...

Sounds like you could have taken MY mom to the dress rehearsal. Seriously. That shit's funny!