Saturday, January 14, 2012

Thank God It's Snowing!

Never thought you'd see me type that, eh?  It's because when it snows here it SNOWS! which means I usually can't do much of anything else.  So I have time to do other things. In this case - learn how to use my new phone.

My Droid crapped out on me.  Finally.  For about a year (I'd only had it barely 2) it had been giving me a host of problems.  To make matters worse the hubby has the exact same phone and experienced almost none of my issues.  He either blamed all the issues on me being impatient or user error.  A few months ago I think he finally broke down and admitted that, in fact, the phone was possessed. 

Then Thursday night it went complete batshit crazy and the bottom third of the touch screen stopped responding.  The biggest problem with that glitch - that's the part you have to touch to execute calls.  Kinda defeats the function of a PHONE, doesn't it? 

I opted to get a whole new phone instead of taking advantage of my warranty since we'd been talking about getting a new one anyway.  I should note here that my company pays for my phone bill (but not the cost of the phone itself) otherwise 1. I wouldn't be paying for a warranty in the first place or 2. if I were I would definitely be taking advantage of it.  Of course the trade off of the company paying for my personal phone bill - I have to use it for work.  Just keep that in mind....

I am now the proud owner of a Droid Razr.  (kids and their spelling these daz!!  sheesh!)  I have to say with regards to size it is quite thin!  The majority of the body is about as wide as a pencil!!  The phone itself it about as large as my hand/ palm.  Which = large screen.  Which is a plus and minus.  See the screen better.  But the phone is bigger.  It doesn't fit in my wallet/ wristlet I had for my original Droid.  I now know why people are ALWAYS playing on their phones.  They're so big they have to hold them in their hands. And if it's already in your hand might as well use it, right??

There are many new features with this phone that I have to learn.  For example, just this morning I went to take a picture of the snow outside to send to my dad.  I had just woken up, had my first cup of coffee in my hand.  Beautiful, fluffy snow was falling and we had a foot already accumulated on top of the everything outside.  It was pristine. I wanted to take the picture before the neighborhood kids came out to play and people started to walk their dogs...  capture the early morning stillness. As I was holding up the phone to snap a shot I noticed an icon on the screen that was new to me.  I hit it and all of a sudden...  ACK!!!!  It was ME.  Morning face, waaay up close, dark circles under my eyes, big zit on my chin, terribly uneven skin tone (wow! I knew it was bad, but not that bad! ugh!) I damn near dropped my coffee!

Apparently this icon swings the camera to you.  (little camera eye on this side of the phone) Without you having to awkwardly hold the camera backwards to take a picture of yourself.  Rather, you can see yourself on the phone screen AND take the picture of yourself at the same time.  Fantastic for all of those people who take picture of themselves and with friends.  NOT fantastic when you accidentally figure out this feature when you first wake up in the morning and look like ass.

Hopefully I can figure out the rest without any more unwanted "surprises".

Oh, and if you have this phone...  HELP!!!







1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't help you. I'm the only person left on earth without a smart phone. But I do think my Bar Keepers Friend trick will work on your cheap dishes. I think the fact that mine got so scratched up to begin with shows that they are not of the highest quality.