Wednesday, August 30, 2006

But you don't sound like you're from New York

Another day in the life of a salesman. Fred and I were, again, at a hospital for a 6am in-service. At every meeting we've had so far Fred introduces me as "Julie, from our home office in New York." I hate that. This morning I finally told him so. Really, I said something more along the lines of "do you really think they're going to believe you once I start talking?? I sure as hell don't sound as though I'm from New York." What I failed to mention also is that when I get around someone from the south, like Fred, I accidentally really start sounding southern. Not on purpose, mind you, but I reckon because I feel relaxed and more at home. (see - I NEVER say reckon when I'm above the Mason-Dixon line....) Plus it's easier to not have to ennunciate.

Fred seemed to think that saying I'm from NY gives me more credibility. Where I grew up in the south that makes you the enemy - not more of an expert... but if Fred says so I guess he knows his customers better than I do.

I'm pretty sure after this trip my cholesterol is going to be through the roof... There's a lot of bacon and eggs going on down here.

2 comments:

WanderingGirl said...

Tell them to bite you. Then they'll think you're from New York.

It does kind of sound like the monologue for Letterman... "and from our home office in Sioux City, Iowa..."

Anonymous said...

Of all of the seemingly meaningless adivce and sayings that I got from my father, probably the one that has served me the best is, "Don't speak with a southern accent, people will automatically think that you are stupid and you'll always have to work hard to prove them wrong." Turns out, at least in my experience, the old fart was right. After they(bosses, peers, etc) get to know you and your capabilities then you just become the chic with the sexy southern drawl instead of being Hanna Jane from HeeHaw. TB