Tomorrow after work I'm on a plave heading to WV for TF's baby shower. I'm SO excited. I've known TF (formerly TM) forever. I was in her wedding... she was in mine... and now's she due in August with her and her hubby's first "kid". Can't say which since they don't know.
I saw TF back in June when I was in the area for my grandma's funeral. David and I stopped by and spent several hours visiting. She looked great at 7 months! Damn, she hardly looked pregnant. If I didn't know I would have thought she just had a little beer belly going on. Anyway - got to see the nursery - Classic Pooh. Very cute.
While we were there I literally invited myself to the baby shower. I figured she might not bother inviting me since I lived so far away - but I wanted to come!!! She laughed at me and assured me that I was being invited anyway. Isn't she sweet? I truly don't think I was on the list...
So I'm flying out tomorrow night. The shower is Sunday. You may be asking yourself why in the hell am I going so early?? Well, Friday nite is the Williamstown Ice Cream Social!! This town only has a few thousand people. Everyone who is anyone will be at the social! As a matter of fact my dad is comnig up from SC to go! So I'm hitting the road (or the airport, as the case may be) Thursday after work.
Now since it's very possible I might be seeing people at the social I went to Jr high with and the fact that I'll be seeing TF's family at the shower it is important that I look my absolute best on this trip. How does that differ when I'm traveling otherwise?? Easy - when I travel for work if my hair doesn't turn out right I don't care. They don't know what my hair looks like usually anyway. And who cares - at worst those people can just think I have a bad haircut. I really dont' care. But here.... Here I care what they think. I know, I shouldn't, but I do.
I'm not getting home until midnite Sunday. No big deal until you learn that I have to be back on at the airport at 7:30AM Monday morning to catch a flight for work. Therefore I DO NOT want to check a bag. This airport is natorious for taking FOREVER to get your bag the 100 yards from the plane to baggage claim. I want to get home and go to bed.
Now to the conumdrum. Since I'll be checking my bag I can't bring the all-important, perfect hair products. i.e. MY mousse, MY hairspray, etc... because I can't carry them on. They don't come in travel sizes - trust me, I know. I spent all nite at Wal-Mart looking.... If you know me then you know this is a BIG issue. I have crap hair. The only way I can even come close to looking "normal" is to use very specific products. What to do??
Don't laugh. But I think I have a solution. Luckily the "perfet products" I use are from a drugstore and are reasonably priced. (c'mon! I may need perfect products but I'm also CHEAP!) I've decided I'm going to hit the drug store in WV, purchase full sized products that I need and ditch them for the flight home. If I had thought about this earlier I could have put them in the box of presents I sent ahead of myself so I wouldn't have to carry them on the plane. I have thought this through.... really, I have...
I know, I know. I'm wasteful. Maybe TF can take them home with her and use them. But I sure as hell can't carry them on. But I don't care! This weekend the hair is more important than saving the environment!!! I might see DF or JW or one of the many other jr. high boys that thought I was just a crooked face with a big butt!!! I need to look GOOD!! You know, to show them that I turned out f**ckin' hot!! If only they had paid a bit more attention.....
Plus, I need to do the obligatory "girl" thing and show the WV girls that I'm walking the ever-so-fine-line of I'm-classy-but-not-too-classy-didn't-forget-my-roots-despite-the-fact-I-live-in-NY thing. Don't misunderstand - I'm not going there to show anyone up... just show that I grew up "right". Plus I don't want TF's family to think she's got a complete slacker for a friend... I mean, it may be the truth but they don't have to know that....
So you're not going to hear from me for a while. I probably won't post anything until I get back Wed. from the biz trip. And I'm sure I'll have something to say about that - since I'm the only idiot that has to go to Mississippi in late July.....
1 comment:
Oh honey, that's nothing I haven't done before! You're not really supposed to mail pressurized cans either, so it wouldn't have worked any other way. The environment... it's the sacrifice we make for beauty!
Post a Comment