Last night I picked up some of that Veet stuff from Walgreens ($8.99) - not Neet, as I has previously posted. You know what I'm talking about - the cream hair remover that comes with the non-razor squeegee thingy. I believe I referred to it as the equivalent to the kindergarten safety scissors...
Have you seen the commercials for this stuff? The cute, skinny girl - with the assumably fine leg hair - dancing around her bathroom with the white cream on her legs... then taking the squeegee and simply wicking it all away.
yeah, right. let me tell ya - that's not exactly how it works.
OK sista's. (and bro's - for those of you out there that like a nice, slick look) let me tell you the real story behind this stuff. First off, in case you are a visitor to my blog or haven't been up close and personal with my legs let me share that I have the good 'ol dark, coarse leg hair. Yep - and proud of it. Real leg hair. Stuff that really deserves to be shaved. When I decide to go tree hugger the guys really do run for the hills. There really was a reason I lived in CO for a while. They were the only ones that would take me during that "phase"....
So the directions say to spread on (NOT rub in) the cream and leave on for 3 minutes and then squeegee off. Ok, they don't say "squeegee" but I just like to use the word over and over again : ) They do say you can leave it on for up to 6 minutes. They warn that any longer and you're leaving yourself open to chemical burns.
Now remember the reason I'm trying the product in the first place. The last thing I need is a chemical burn. I'm watchin' that clock like a hawk.
Just in case this shit burns I decide to spread it on just a small area on my leg with the coarsest hair - about 2 inches by 4 inches on my shin. I set the timer for 6 minutes. I let it count down 3 minutes, squeegee off , check to see the results, lather back on the same area and repeat every minute for the next three minutes. Pretty scientific, eh?
By the 6th minute I'm still on the verge of not getting all the hair off. But I'm not trying for anything longer. I'm chalking it off for the precious lost seconds in between the checking and respreading. I'm satisfied that I'm not going to burn myself or have some sensitive skin/ allergic reaction and decide to go for the full leg. Well, right up past the knee.
Ok, I'm just going for an honest product review here. I lathered both legs and set the timer to 6 minutes. After a little over 5 minutes I start with the back of the first leg I lathered (finest hair) and start squeegeeing. It's not as easy as the commercial makes it look. I'm standing in the shower with just the tap running so I can rinse the squeegee off. The coarsest hair still isn't coming off that great. I finally get both legs done right around 6 minutes.
They aren't nearly as smooth as with a razor but they are smoother than I thought they'd be. The smell isn't the greatest either. Even though it didn't take that long it still was a pain because I couldn't just incorporate it into my regular shower routine. Ok, maybe I could have, but I didn't.
But I didn't stop there. I decided, what the hell. Wonder what it would do for my pits??
Let me stop you right here and warn you AGAINST trying this at home. Although the instructions didn't say you couldn't do your armpits I wouldn't recommend it. My hair there is also very course - more so than my legs - so I left if on for 6 minutes and I do believe I did end up with mild chemical burns. NOT COMFORTABLE!!! Plus the instructions to tell you not to apply anti-perspirant for 24 hours. WHAT???!!! So what am I supposed to do? go around smelling all day??? Actually I totally disregarded this advice and did apply some Dove eventually. It seemed to soothe the burning pits. I'm ok this AM but there are still noticeable red blotches when I went to apply more deodorant this morning.
So - my final recommendation? Regardless of how hazardous a sharp razor can be it is still worth the risk for a good shave. Just be sure to keep the girls out of the way....
2 comments:
I'm just going to stay right over here, shaking my head in disbelief.
Solution--wrangle them jessies into a sports bra on shaving day--it may mean more laundry but you'll be safe
Post a Comment