Monday, November 19, 2007

Where do I begin??

I accidentally had a story-packed weekend... so where do I begin?

Saturday I went with some friends to the "Deck the Halls" Seneca Lake holiday wine tour. For those of you that don't live in NY, Senca Lake is one of the Finger lakes - of the famed "Finger Lakes" wine region. I anticipated having at least one or two stories to tell you about this trip!!! I wasn't let down!!!!

So my friend Yana orchestrated a wine tour 14 of us. During the holiday season they have this "special" thing where you have to buy "special" couples tickets and you go to participating wineries. At your first stop you get a wreath and a cookbook and at each winery you go to they give you an ornament for your wreath and you get "special" tastings paired with a small food sample, etc... all included in the price of the "special" ticket. You get the idea. And to make sure we had proper transport, Yana rented one of those little tour-bus thingies, complete with a driver. It was great!!

Well, we thought it was great until the driver never knew where he was going. This was not Yana's fault, mind you (it was a reputable bus company - but where did they find this guy???) But it kind of takes the fun out of over-indulging when you realize that are responsible for getting you to the next winery, and the next winery, and the next winery, and then home....

oh, by the way- the finger lakes are about an hour from Syracuse. not exactly next door...

Oh, and also, not everyone in our group is a "couple". (they tour kinda descriminates that way, don't they??) but they buddied up because going as a couple is cheaper than buying a "singles" ticket. That was funny in so many ways... but wouldn't be funny to you because you don't know everyone that went, now do you. Anyway....

It just so happened that it was Lisa's bday. (lot's of bday's lately in my circle, isn't there??) Yana and Susanne brought gifts for Lisa to really embarrass her. It worked. The funniest were the "Birthday Bitch" party hat and the "Birthday Girl" sash (think Miss America Pagent) they made her wear. Ok, so she wasn't really diggin' the hat - but she was game on wearing the sash. We made her wear it into every winery.

She got sung to my many strangers. But really? are they still strangers when they sing you happy birthday??), got bought many Redcat shots (local wine shots). Even got it caught on film (much to her dismay) Even SP got in on the action - drawing out her own bday celebrations from earlier this month.














The first winery we go to was Hazlit's - home of Redcat - the most popular wine in the Finger Lakes. The guy pouring behind the counter is dressed at Friar Tuck. It was too much - I had to take a picture. You know me - I had to ask. And the answer was "only a sock".





Then we show up at this winery and find these half drunk (or maybe a bit more than that) frat boys getting hazed. (Or at least that was their story they were stickin' to.) and their crazy shenanegans. who knows. they were just excited to get their picture taken. and even more excited when I told them my blog was read by millions. poor idiots.... they believed me...

I don't think they were drunk... just stupid....












So in the end, on Saturday, fun was had by all.



And I still have Sunday to tell you about!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anal-retentive husband here. I believe the bartender at Hazlet was dressed as the Ghost of Christmas Present, not Friar Tuck...

Zoo Keeper said...

well, he looked like Friar Tuck to me - specifically the Porky Pig version in the infamous Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny cartoon of Robin Hood...

you say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mah-toe...

Anonymous said...

I say neither, because contrary to my Italian hertitage you will recall I don't like toe-mah-toe's. A better analogy for you would have been "I say four hours of my life I will never get back and you say a NASCAR race".

Anonymous said...

Or for others in our circle another might be "I say one of the rising starts in NASCAR who helped break up the monotany of another boring season of Hendrick success and you say 2007 Rookie-Of-The-Year Juan Pablo Montoya".

Sweet T said...

I think it looks like you went to England and saw goofy looking people in the countryside and some fat guy drinking in a bar.

Unknown said...

In reference to the anonymous comment about "the rising starts in NASCAR who helped break up the monotany of another boring season of Hendrick success and you say 2007 Rookie-Of-The-Year Juan Pablo Montoya"... one word...CRASH!

Anonymous said...

To Karen: Leave poor Sam Hornish Jr. out of this!