So Dad came to visit for 10 days. In on the 20th, out on the 30th. What do we do for 10 days?? I figured he'd want to rest. He did just move himself, you know. After he left at Thanksgiving he flew home and made a mad dash to move 17 years worth of stuff in three weeks to a new house. That included doing last minute repairs to his current house for the new owners (part of the contract...)
You know, nothing in our house is normal... and that includes Christmas. Well, the actual holiday was normal. Christmas Eve, Grandma C's house. Christmas Day, mother-in-law's family's place.... I figured after the actual holidays we'd be lazy, go out to eat, go see movies... that kind of stuff.
Nope.
Now there's been a big debate as to who's idea this was - mine or dad's. I say it was dad's. The man just can't sit still. But to put it in a nutshell - Wednesday through Saturday (he left Sunday morning) we went full throttle home make over, all day, every day.
I'm not kidding.
We tiled the hallway and redid the powder room (which is right off the hallway) which included taking down the wallpaper (hideous!!) , taking out the old sink and vanity, light fixture and toilet, painting the room and installing a tile floor, new: moulding, pedestal sink, mirror, light fixture, toilet and hardware. I still have to paint the hallway and put up new moulding before I'm done. To be "officially" done I have to get a new runner and pretty things for the walls. (I only had a mirror and a table in the hallway before.)
Yep - that's how we spent our Christmas..... I need a vacation from my vacation...
Oh, and we were supposed to tile the kitchen while dad was here too but we ran out of time. The good news is we already bought the tile for the kitchen so now it's just a matter of finding the time to do it...
I'm a terrible DIYer - I always forget to take "before" pics. The vinyl flooring in the hallway and kitchen is the same though - 1980's brown, orange and cream shit... original to the house. Now you know why I had to tile over it. It HAD to go.... The previous owners thought it would be just fine to put up wallpaper of their liking and not mess with the floor.
The wallpaper in the bathroom was a.... well, think pastel Monet impressionistic crap (with the brown, orange and cream vinyl floor....) hung terribly to where I'd sit on the crapper and peel the paper at the seems. (I figured that'd get me a remodel faster... hey, it worked!!)
The wallpaper in the hallway was a light silvery, cream, something... I don't know - something yucky. Also hung terribly. (Note to y'all out there. If you can't hang paper correctly, PAINT!!!) Again, with the brown, orange and cream vinyl floor.
SO.... that's how we spend Christmas.... Any takers on coming to visit next year???
4 comments:
Only at Christmas.... hell Juls, I do that almost all the time.... I'm thinking I like your vacation instead. I could handle working on the house only one week out of the year...
I want you to come to my house next year. I had no idea that your Dad had moved--we just went driving around back there, in your old stomping grounds, last night. Mike was looking for some parked cars to roll in to while we made out :)
are you kidding?? we don't just do this at christmas?? we do it during the summer to but we do have to work around the rowing season and our travle schedule.
Post a Comment