Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Don't mess with the Julie

So I'm remodeling the kitchen. When I say "remodeling" I mean new cabinets, new counter tops, new floor, the works. But as usual, D and I are doing it ourselves.

The cabinets should be delivered next week. Dad is coming the end of July to help us do the floor (tile - same as what we put in the hallway/ powder room over Christmas). I'm also going to tile the back splash - my first foray into vertical tiling....

That leaves the counters. I picked out and priced what I wanted at Lowe's (our favorite place. D and I have "dates" there. Are we dorks or what??) My in-laws suggested a local place for a competitive quote where they got their counter tops. I'm all for competition - it makes for better pricing for the consumer, right??

So here's my REALLY LONG story as short as possible...

I was really busy at work a few weeks ago, and trying to include D in the kitchen remodel process, asked him to call this place and have them quote on the counter tops. So we got a quote that was several hundred cheaper than Lowe's - whoo hoo!! So the following weekend we headed to their showroom to choose specifics (edging, sink, etc...).

Once in the showroom I realized the sales guy was a PRICK!! Sorry - no other way to describe it. He kept referring all questions to D, even though D made it clear it was my project and to address all questions to me because I was the "grand pooh bah" of this whole shebang. He was all self important, loved to hear himself talk (which he did for TWO HOURS!!!). He then wasted our time pontificating on why we should buy one of his faucets and why it's a cardinal sin to buy one at Home Depot or Lowe's. I'm even skimming the top as to the hundred and ten ways this guy totally pissed me off.

So why didn't I just walk out of the showroom?? (because the thought did cross my mind the WHOLE time I was standing there....) Because my in-laws and their friends swore by their counter tops and installation. (this guy was just the sales guy...) That, combined with the several hundred dollar savings, I was willing to stand there for bit. But believe me, when we finally left D got an earful. Not that any of it was his fault - just that I vented on what a dick this sales guy was and I was having serious second thoughts about buying a hot steaming pile of pooh from him, let alone several thousands of dollars worth of counter tops....

So, I called the guy back yesterday to confirm the quote as we needed him to add a few little pieces that surround our stove. The quote jumped FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! He swears that WE changed the dimensions of the island piece and that accounted for the price change.

Ok, I won't bore you the back and forth - but we didn't change anything - he got the original dimensions wrong and was now making up for his original low ball quote. (anyone seeing flashing neon signs here???)

So the "correct" quote is now only $120 cheaper than Lowe's. I tell D that I'm willing to cough up the $120 and go to Lowe's because I'm sick of dealing with this chump. It's about customer service -of which I have gotten plenty of it at Lowe's. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about saving every penny I can but I'm sick and tired of this aggressive, sexist idiot. I want nothing more to do with him.

So today I call the "idiot" up to tell him that his "new" quote is not as competitive as we originally thought... (and to give him the boot) and as soon as the words are out of my mouth he starts dealin'. He's now $265 cheaper than Lowe's and has thrown in $80 worth of "extras".

Ok, at $120 I was easily willing to tell him to suck a lemon... but at almost $300 savings I'm having second thoughts.... That's an amount that means something now...

Remember, this guy is only sales. He doesn't install. I have two couples that have have been very happy with the company's work. What do you think - do I eat crow and still go with the company to save money? Or do I go with Lowe's on principle?? The ante was just raised...

5 comments:

MadHatter said...

This is tough.... Hate dealing with that type of person. PUll some of that Yankee forthrightness--tell him that the only reason you are going with this company is b/c of everyone else you hope to deal with and tell him he needs to work on his customer service

WanderingGirl said...

Keep working him for more free stuff. Then, after everything's installed and done, tell his manager what an ass he is, and that he almost blew the sale just with attitude.

BlueMoon said...

I would keep negotiating the price. Sounds like he needs an attitude adjustment, or a commission adjustment. Maybe I would call the manager, just in case. Most salespeople don't have permission to wheel and deal, like this guys seems to be doing. I'd like to see what the sales invoice he submits to the company says.

Sweet T said...

Can you stay with the company but work with another sales person? I can appreciate saving the money...I 2nd Wanderinggirl's opinion.

Landon and Elizabeth said...

I would push back one more time and see if he comes down a little lower and then request a new guy and make them honor the lowest price.