Ok, I don't normally blog about my office specifics - as in what so-and-so said to whom, etc.... That could potentially cause some serious issues... But this is too much to pass up.
Today I took my "Promotional Marketing Team" out for our first annual "Team Appreciation Lunch". In case you didn't know, they've only been "my" team since November-ish when I got a promotion. The team consists of Crumby, Cakey and Token Male (TM). (sorry - the gals are bakers too!!! : ) Good group - but small. Small enough to have it's quirks for sure. We get along so long as everybody does what I tell them to ; ) (hee, hee)
You know how sometimes people say things innocently that might be considered in certain company as, well... tactless. That happens here in the office on occasion totally by accident. Inevitably, regardless where you are sometimes you might accidentally offend someone. Sometimes you realize it and apologize and sometimes you don't realize it.
I will say there were a few times when TM first started I think Crumby might have said a few things - purely innocently - that I cringed, hoping TM didn't take offense. (Did I mention he's Jewish??) We all know in the office that Crumby would never mean any offense at all!!! But if TM was offended he never really acted it. And I'm sure that once he got to know Crumby he knew she never would say anything maliciously. Now that's he comfortable working with us he jokes with all of us, no big deal.
So, fast forward to today at lunch. Crumby was telling a story about how she had this stool that was wobbly and she started hacking on the legs to get it even to where she ended up with a stool that was only about a foot and a half tall!! So TM pipes in and started telling about how he and his g-friend bought 2 bar stools and realized they were about 2 inches too tall for their table. So TM went out, borrowed his brother's chop saw and trimmed them perfectly on the first try! He swears the last time he ever did anything like that was back in shop class!
Crumby: You know, I bet you're so good at that because...
TM: Why? because I'm Jewish?? Because JC was a carpenter?!
At first when he said this we all weren't sure if he was mad thinking Crumby was going through a religious zinger at him or if he was just kidding. There was that confused moment were Crumby and I sat there trying to figure out was was going on. (Cakey was had just left to hit the girl's room.)
While we were contemplating where this was going Crumby weakly muttered "no". And then TM started to laugh and we realized he was totally pulling her chain!! It was PERFECT on TM's part. Played PERFECT!!!! Then to top it all off:
TM: See, we're told to measure twice, cut once!
This sent Crumby really over the edge. Even though TM was still referring to trimming the bar stools Crumby was taking the context into other Jewish rituals....
All the while I'm watching the whole exchange laughing so hard I started to tear up. It's not often that someone beats Crumby at her own game!!! I loved it!! I almost wet my pants!!!
*In Crumby's defense, she was going to tell TM that she thought he'd be good at it because he's our graphic designer. She thought that him being a designer, and I guess his attention to detail (I'm speculating now because we really didn't get the whole "real" answer) would account for his precise measuring and cutting.*
2 comments:
I seriously thought he was going to make a circumcision joke. I'm like that, though.
This is why I try not to work with grown-ups.
Post a Comment