Monday, August 11, 2008

9 fingers.. almost...

so the new island counter top is in. Did I mention that Zodiac stuff is slippery?

I chopped and prepped all my stuff for stir fry the other night (you know, in honor of the Olympics in China, and all...) and was cleaning up the kitchen before I start the actual cooking. (stir fry cooks fast!)

Now, I'm sure you all think I can't cook for shit - but really.. I'm good! I swear!

And I really do know my way around a kitchen... I swear!!

So I grabbed my chef's knife and go to move it to my brand-spanking-new sink, from my brand-spanking-new island over my brand-spanking-new floor when it starts to slide uncontrollably over said brand-spanking-new island top.

It slides right off the island.

Now, usually I would hop backwards, let that baby fall right to the ground. Who cares what happens to the knife, the floor, whatever. It's a falling knife for Christ's sake!!! Wouldn't want to lose any fingers or toes!

But this time - and I don't know what got into me - I thought "not my new floor!".

But really - it's a tile floor. What's a knife going to do to it??? My brain didn't get that far into the processing part as I REACHED MY HAND OUT TO GRAB THE FALLING KNIFE.

Yes folks - I tried to grab a falling chef's knife.

And yes, the knife won.

And the weirdest part is how it cut me - it chopped up the crease where my pinkie finger attaches to my hand.... and when I say "chopped" I mean "chopped". It didn't "cut" or "slice"....

Now I jerked my hand back fast enough (my well honed cat-like reflexes) to keep from doing serious enough damage to require stitches or anything (apparently I need to sharpen my knives, thank god...) but it looks gross.

And yet another reason I apparently need to stay out of the kitchen.

1 comment:

MadHatter said...

This is the 2nd or 3rd time that you have nearly bled (at least that we know about) into the food you are cooking. You should really just start catering for vampires--your propensity for lopping things off will only be a plus.