Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Am I missing the point?

So I've been on MySpace for over a year and on Facebook for a good bit of months (I know, what does that mean??) And I've noticed this phenomenon...

When I first got on MySpace people would contact me from eons ago in my life... They would say "hi, what's up? What are you up to these days?" Depending on the person you may have a lot say, you may not... but generally everyone was polite. It was fun! I would never have guessed I would have cared to get back in contact with people from so long ago... but it was generally people from Jr high, even elementary school!! Even a few people from high school... the ones that I wouldn't mind talking to again.

But then I joined Facebook... at first people asked to be "friends" and would send a message along with the request. But then I started getting more and more requests... no message. Mostly from people I wasn't really friends with in the first place - just mere acquaintances.

Ok - I understand if we weren't really friends so much then but you want to say "hi" now. I get that - just wanting to reach out or what not. But not saying anything???

Just asking to be my friend for nothing?

Ok, I know - you accept the request and on Facebook then they can see your full profile.

But I'm guessing they really aren't looking at my profile...

So is it just a game to see who can get the most friends??

See if it were me and I really didn't have a lot to say but wanted to be their "friend" I'd look at their profile, find something interesting, message them and reference something in the profile "So how are you doing these days? I see you're living in Kalamazoo?? Interesting! How'd you end up there from SC??" cuz I'm nosey like that....

I've started in with it too. Just started requesting people to be my friend. Just to see what will happen. Do they say hi? Nope - not unless I message them first.

I mean, what's the point? Am I missing the point?

If you're not talking to me and you're not looking at my profile then why do you want to be my cyber friend??

Maybe I'm too old for this... Can someone explain this to me??

As I tell my husband all the time - if you don't understand a commercial on TV it's one of two reasons: 1) it's a terribly done commercial or 2) you're not the target audience.

So what is it?? Facebook is booming with my age group... I'm supposed to be the target audience! It's supposed to be "good"!!

I don't get it...

So - the message is... my blog address is posted on my Facebook page. If you're taking the time to go through my profile you know that. If you care, you've actually come to my blog, which means you've read this entry. Which now means you know - don't just send me a friend request "just because". If you are interested in really getting in touch send me a message...

Although, I guess this will fall on deaf ears because in order to see my blog address you have to send me a friend request and I have to accept it and if you really don't care to be my friend you won't have gone through my profile to see this address.....

Oh well....

4 comments:

MadHatter said...

Rant on sister friend, I am not even going to find out about FaceBook and too many of my underage students hang out on that and MySpace to make it seem remotely fun for me. I want to be your friend--hope that makes you smile.

WanderingGirl said...

No. I've done it. I'm stalking them. I want to see them, but mostly I didn't love them then, and I don't now. I just want to stalk them a little. :)

BlueMoon said...

One of the first things out of people's mouths after I meet them, is do you have myspace or facebook? Honestly, I haven't used either, but thanks for the quick insight.

WanderingGirl said...

It's a new month. Get with it and give us a new post!