So I'm sitting on the sofa up in the concierge lounge enjoying a glass of Cabernet Savignon, a piece of chocolate cake, reading my latest book. The tabloid show ET is on the humongous flat screen TV in front of me. A guy is on the opposite end of the sofa, apparently doing what I'm doing - reading a bit here and there, watching the TV when it interests him.
Did I mention I'm in Atlanta for a trade show? Remember, I'm in the medical devices biz. Not the most sexy biz in the world. Especially this show. (I won't explain, just take my word for it.) I don't know if the sofa guy is here for the trade show. maybe, maybe not. I'm guessing he's in his mid-40's. He's a bit on the "intellectual" side. Balding on top - you know, the crown-o-hair, halo style, t shirt, cargo pant, worn tennis shoes. (although farbeit from me to make a style statement about someone...) I'll admit, I thought maybe I'd aged him a bit too old based on the hair. Maybe he's early 40's but after my brief interaction I'm sure he's at least mid 40's if not older. See if you agree....
So you know, ET does their "Celeb birthdays". Apparently sofa guy was listening and said to no one, but really to me "Can you believe Kate Jackson is 60 today?!"
Who in the hell is Kate Jackson?
me: I'm sorry? who?
sofa guy: Kate Jackson! From Charlie's Angel's! She was every teenage boy' dream! Man, you can't trust anyone HALF her age! Can you believe it?! (said as though he was clearly one of those teenage boys)
me: oh... (smile weakly.)
Did I mention I'm THIRTY TWO!!!!
Now if I was a witty person I would have said: Sorry I don't know who you're talking about, I was only toddling around when that show was on.
But alas, I'm not witty. Well, I am - 15 minutes after a situation occurs. But I don't think the term for that is "witty" anymore. I think it's "lost opportunity".
Am I upset at this? Hell no! I'm pissed!! How freakin' old does this guy think I am??!!! I mean c'mon! Sure, I have my glasses on, but folks I'm not creased from years in the sun for god's sake! This guy was talking to me as if I were his contemporary!
I've never had an issue with my age. I never had an issue with getting older. I WELCOMED turning 30. Really - I did. But this is f'n ridiculous! This guy was treading on really thin ice. It's one thing to get mistaken for being within a few years of your actual age. It's quite another for being mistaken for being DECADES older than your actual age.
I think I'll chalk it up to sofa guy being obviously socially inept.
7 comments:
Oh crap. From someone who just had a birthday and I'm not much older that you...I DO know who that is. Boy did you make me feel old today! :) Happy freakin' birthday to me! Excuse me while I go cry in my denture cream! :)
Sofa guy was trying to hit on you. Especially if he thought you had the dirty Palin look goin' on with your glasses and all. Just sayin'.
i'm on board with wanderinggirl; it was his very 'socially inept' way of hitting on you. you're 30-something, beautiful and traveling-- you're a lonely business man's fantasy (which would gross me out too).
Ok, let's assume for a moment that you guys, WG and Em, are correct in that sofa guy was hitting on me (BTW, ew....)
WTF! Since when did the sanctity of BIG FAT ROCK on the left hand cease to mean anything to anybody??!!
In the words of WG - holy shitballs, batman!
Lady, I know TONS of people who have enjoyed marital indescretions whenever they're at a convention. It's like it's "a break" for them. A divorced friend of mine actually had a woman walk up to him, tell him she was married but looking for fun while she was out of town, and they spent 3 wild nights together. It happens, and a lot more often than you would think!
I think he was hitting on you too--you should have kung foo chopped him
Ya, my sister was one of those travelers - but then found out her husband was gay! Anyway, I'm only a decade older than you and know who Kate Jackson is because I loved that show when I was in junior high!
Post a Comment