Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Taking a poll

I have a question about the election for you guys - but it's not really a political question, per se...

I've noticed lately that all the state and local people running for office in my area have been campaigning (as they should) but NO ONE is mentioning their political party affiliation in their ads or signage. Is that happening where you live??

I'm just curious. I don't recall that being the case in previous elections. I mean, it could have been the case and I just didn't notice it - but I don't believe that was the case.

This year - NOTHIN'. In order to find what ticket a candidate is running on you have to research it. Nobody is 'fessin up!

Why is that?
- don't want to align themselves with a particular presidential candidate (or current prez...)?
- don't want people to assume their stance based solely on party affiliation?

But by not saying doesn't that make it harder for voters to possibly even find their candidate on the ballot thereby not getting voted for at all?

I don't know, I'm not political analyst, obviously. It just seems like a weird tactic.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe they don't want to be associated with their party!

MadHatter said...

Same here....I think it says something about the screwed-up-ness of a 2 party system. If you want to win, you really have to say I'm a D or R, but there are some well known knuckleheads in both of those parties.

Unknown said...

I agree with madhatter. At the same time though, people should vote for the candidate that they feel is the most qualified and would do the most if elected. Don't just vote for the party just because. Maybe the signs are a way to get people to look at the candidate, not just the party.

Anonymous said...

Hi!! Long time, no hear...
Anyway, to answer your question, I haven't noticed a political party affiliation on signs in a LONG time (maybe not since the
70's...when the elephant and donkey were popular symbols).

Unknown said...

I love it. I think it makes people actually have to research the candidates instead of voting blindly on a straight party ticket.

However, not good for the candidates because most people are too lazy to do that and it may just make them go random shotgun style voting. Good question though.