Two weeks ago I deemed it officially winter by putting the electric blanket on the bed. Last year we got the fabulous Tempurpedic and for some reason I decided not to put the electric blanket on the bed last winter. I don't know why - just didn't.
Well, maybe because I was lazy. Because this year I had to untangle the stupid cords, plug into the blanket to test which control went to which side (one control for each side, you know), climb up underneath the stupid bed to split the cords, plug in the stupid thing....
Getting the impression this was all quite stupid? Well it wasn't stupid, per se, but I'm sure I looked stupid as hell, with my head under the bed, arse up in the air, trying to get it all figured out.
Once it was all settled I was sure I was going to be quite cozy. See, the best part of having the electric blanket is to use it to "preheat" the bed. It specifically has "preheat" on the controller. You set it to the highest level 30minutes before you go to bed and when you get in it's all nice and toasty for you. Never fear - ours automatically shuts off after 8 or 10 hours so you don't have to worry about burning your house down. And since it has the 2 controls it's really great for me and D since we never can agree on the temp.
So Saturday I wasn't feeling so great - sinus issues or something. I set the blanket, started getting ready for bed, popped 2 Benedryl and crawled in. Now it didn't take me anywhere near 30 minutes from when I turned on the blanket until I got in. When this happens I usually lay there until I start to get warmed up and then gradually turn the bed down until it's where I want it for the night. Usually in 3 minute increments... it heats up pretty fast once you're under there.
Well, I remember turning it down a few notches once....
The next thing I remember is D moving around. Now remember, we have the famous Tempurpedic - so he's really got to be thrashing for me to wake up.
Then I vaguely recall thinking, "Holy shit! I think I'm on fire! I think my skin is smoking...."
Then it hits me, while I'm fighting against my Benedryl coma, whoops... forgot to turn down the blanket....
The Benedryl musta kicked in and I never got around to turning down my side of the blanket. Meanwhile, D is hotter than hell and can't figure out why. (by the way, it's 2AM...) he turned his side of the bed off hours ago and is still burning up... not knowing that I conked out with my side still set to "inferno".
I'm baking, basting, something... on my side of the bed. I literally start wafting the covers to let out the heat that's trapped - I'm THAT hot. I start panicking... "Oh my god - will this melt our patented Swedish memory foam developed for NASA??!!!"
Never fear, gentle readers.... out Tempurpedic is still intact. But I now have legs like Christy Brinkley and a permanent tan from the neck down!!
3 comments:
I need to get me one of those, then.
I would say that you should never leave the house, but apparently that is where 90% of your problems originate.
Ahh! I'd freak. I took NyQuil for the first time last week and I probably would have caught on fire, that stuff if strong!
Post a Comment