Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Bittersweet

Gertie, the Green Goddess. My 2001 Ford Explorer, V8, 5L with 135,000 miles. She was a great gal. Never gave me any problems. Bought her in Colorado when I was a single cowgirl looking for transportation for dogs that I longed to own one day. I slapped a hitch on her so she tow anything - although "anything" ended up being mostly a bike rack...

I drove her all over creation (did you see the mileage??) and back. She's been all over the Rockies, the Adirondacks, the Appalachians... ok, never out on the west coast... She's carried me through snowstorms, camping trips, NASCAR races, my own wedding, I've moved a few times (although I was good to her and had her transported form CO to OH... no need to add unnecessary miles.) And of course, she been the grand chariot for Liam and Nikki forever. When we moved here she was anointed with "K9 SUV" plates.

Gertie has been my girl. She was actually my dream car. I told people that and it was the truth. She was the right size, not too big, not too small. Just enough features but not too fancy.

Even though she's been running great it was time to look to trade her in. Sad day. It was time.

So the K9 SUV plates are now on a silver 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's got a bazillion features. Heated leather seats, sun roof, Sirius radio, iPod jack, all these controls in the steering wheel, and I'm sure a million more I can't think of right now and another million more I don't know even know about...

In theory it's a much better car than Gertie. But it's not. Not yet anyway.

So how do I explain to my husband why I was crying last night after we picked up the new car? Not shedding a tear.
Crying.
Like for an hour.
And I'm even tearing up as I write this.

How do you explain that your car was part of your identity?
That you had your car longer than you had your husband?
That your car was the last true remaining symbol of independence and freedom from when you were single?

Well, I hope I get used to this new one. If not I guess David will inherit it. Good thing he likes it - especially since he never drove it until after I bought it. (but then again - he did used to work for Jeep....)

RIP Gertie.

4 comments:

WanderingGirl said...

Oh, Gertie will go on to serve as a fine chariot for another young cowgirl with more adventures on the horizon.

Gertie's Song:
"Don't cry for me, Apple Crisp Girl; the truth is I'm on the highway; thanks for the good times, the wild adventures; I'll make a promise, I will remember."

Go ahead, you know you were singing it to the tune of "Don't cry for me Argentina".

MadHatter said...

I get it. Go ahead and cry one last time and then go warm your tush in your new girl.

emily said...

sounds like you need to do some preemptive bonding with this new car. Can't you camp out in those new Jeeps? Maybe you and David could 'christen' it? Accidently get knocked-up in it . . .

Sara said...

I am really sorry to hear about your SUV.... I had no idea her name was Gertie however.... I feel like I too should pay her some homage as she did transport me to and from Plattsburgh, NY.
So, here's to Gertie, Julie's friend, confidante, dog limo, and all around great automobile.

I am truly sorry for your loss :(