Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Wedding Story

So my cuz Laura got hitched to Bill on June 7th at Bald Head Island, NC. There are a few things you should know about the island:

1. No cars allowed - you get around in golf carts
2. There's a dress code at most (but not all) places on the island
3. Yes - this is the same island Kate was on with her sextuplets, and no I didn't see them but they were there about the same time we were

This is how it looked driving around the island - from a golf cart perspective.




These two pictures are of the chapel were L & B got married.





Here is Bill, me and Laura at the welcoming dinner. Note we'd all had a bit to drink at this point....



The lovely bride and groom!!!
(gorgeous, isn't she!! He's not too shabby himself ; )




Entering the reception....




David took pictures all during the reception. Every picture of me is essentially this pose. Here I'm dancing with the ring bearer.



And here's the best picture I have of me and David... unfortunately it was taken with a Blackberry... : ( I think the professional photographer got a similar, yet better, picture of us. I'm hoping I can get that one!!!



Of course we had a blast. So much, in fact, that I'm having dad make us "kids" t-shirts of the "Top 10 Things Said at the Honeycutt - Baxter Wedding". The "kids" who are getting shirts know they are coming but they don't know what the shirts say - it's a surprise!! But I'm going to list it here for your benefit - with explanations. I hope you find it as funny as we do. If you really don't understand it must be a "you had to be there" kind of thing... sorry...
10. Oh well, it's just water OVER the bridge!
My Aunt has a way with messing up common phrases. This is one of them...
9. I didn't know you knew the words to "Joyful, Joyful"!!
During the ceremony we sang the hymn "Joyful, Joyful". I don't know the words, sorry - and being in the wedding party - we didn't have hymnals up at the alter with us. During the hymn I look over to the Best Man (groom's bro) and he's singing all the words! All three verses we sang! I was impressed! I asked him later about it. He grinned "I don't know the words! I was just moving my lips to make it look like I did!!" FAKER!
8. All the ladies are gettin' their war paint on.
A perfect explanation from my Aunt's husband as to where all the women disappeared to before the wedding started. In case you didn't understand, that's West Virginian for "putting on make-up"... ; )
7. Ever heard of hallway sex?
Famous joke from Chuck (best man) and his wife. When you're first married you have "house sex" - you have sex in every room of the house. When you've been married for a few years you start to have "bedroom sex" - sex just in the bedroom. When you've been married 15 or 20 years you start having "hallway sex" - you pass each other in the hallway and yell to each other "Fuck you"!!
6. Show up, shut up and pay up!
This was the joke to my Uncle Sam, Laura's dad. enough said.
5. Maybe she could find her phone if she had a BIGGER bag!!
Read my previous post for explanation....
4. At ease, soldier!
My cuz Tim (Laura's brother) was a career Navy man. He was also an usher at the wedding. Needless to say, many times we had to remind him to relax - this is a wedding, not the Navy...
3. Oh my god! I look like a drag queen!!
The make-up artists Laura hired took over an HOUR to put our make up on. Laura even had fake eyelashes!! Of course the make-up made the pictures impeccable - but you should have seen our reactions to ourselves when we looked in the mirror the first time with all the goop on our faces!!
2. Sam! Wine! Now!
Of course, this is me to my Uncle Sam to open a bottle of wine - pronto - for Laura. I would have gotten her a glass of wine myself but I too, was trapped in the make-up chair!
And now for the infamous #1....
Rock out with your (insert image of rooster) out, Jam out with your (insert image of open seashell) out!!!
At the rehearsal my cuz Patrick (Laura's brother) pulled out this doozy. We ended up saying it ALL WEEK LONG!! Ok, this is definitely one of those "you had to be there"... I understand.

6 comments:

The Coach's Wife said...

how funny! definitely save this list and maybe send it to them for their 1-year anniversary (since the traditional gift is paper) and again at 10-years. =) what a wonderful collection of the little memories that make you laugh when you recall them...we reminisce every year at the lake about things like this with our family. i should definitely jot them down this year for posterity!

Sweet T said...

you like gorgeous in your dress!!

WanderingGirl said...

Now I remember why you don't dance.

Glad you had such a good time!

PS... w.v. is "trawl"... as in, "she had to use a trawl to put on our war paint."

MadHatter said...

They are pretty good. I especially like #5

MadHatter said...

I meant #7--hallway sex-hah!

emily said...

wow! bald head island looks amazing. the entire wedding looked amazing. you, my dear, looked stunning, even on a blackberry.