Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pinned by a giant

Through all my frustrations and grumbling we got to training last night only to have the trainer and other people in the class comment to me how much better behaved Indy was!!  YAY!!!!

Even with all the distractions of the other dogs he was generally doing all the commands well!

Double YAY!!!

Did I mention he's put on FOUR pounds in the 2.5 weeks we've had him? I think I need to cut down on his meals since we're going through so many treats during training time....

There is one really funny thing that happens at training and unfortunately since it happens to ME I am unable to take a picture of it to show you. So you will have to use your imagination.

We each have stools we use that are about 16 - 18" high. Remember, I have a tall dog. The tallest, by far, in the class. To try and keep Indy calm while we're listening to the trainer I scratch his butt so he instinctively positions himself between my legs.  What I don't think everyone else in the class realizes is that he's actually trying to SIT on my lap. 

Really.

He's tried to raise a foot to my thigh. I'm a little to high so that didn't work.
He's just rested his rump on my thigh. Sometimes that works but my thigh is still to high.
Last night he even tried to put a butt cheek up on an empty stool beside me. (He only managed to move it a little and make it squeak. I think people just thought he bumped up against it.)
His preferred method, apparently, is to position himself so my knee is underneath his hips and rest just enough so I take the weight off his back legs.

This cracks me up because I know what he's doing.  But because of his perfect height to my lap height I'm not sure anyone else in the class can tell he's actually SITTING ON ME.  I think it's funny and will laugh and pet him at seemingly random times during class and our classmates probably think I'm nuts-o.

But no, I just have a huge dog that wants on my lap.

No comments: