Last year was hard. Last July, after 2 seizures in two weeks we decided Liam, our big lovable 12 year old Golden Retriever, had lived a full and happy life. It was time for him spend the rest of time chasing squirrels in the sky. In mid-September we had a month-long battle with Nikki, in and out of the vet. Every few days with a new, scary symptom. It was heart wrenching. In the end they realized she had had a stroke. We had had enough of our 14 year old lab suffer. Another terrible, terrible decision.
I swore I wouldn't get another dog. Or if I did I'd wait years. I knew I wasn't ready because I'd tear up randomly thinking about Nikki and Liam. It didn't let up. I didn't let on to the hubby how upset I was, especially when months had passed and I still was a mess.
I think the worst part was the quietness. After having 2 big dogs that snort and snore and always under foot (so you're constantly "Liam, move! Nikki, come!") it was unsettling to read early on a Saturday morning with three cats on my lap but not a peep in the background. (they're quiet purr-ers)
A few weeks ago I couldn't stand it. I'd wrestled with how easy our life would be with no dog. We didn't have to worry about being home at a certain time, We didn't have tot worry about going out of town "Who's going to watch the dog? Is the pet sitter available??" If the hubby was out of town I wouldn't have to worry about running home to let a dog out. But the more I thought about it the more I'd rather deal with those "impositions" than be dogless.
So I made the decision for us that we were going to get another dog. : ) I like big dogs. The hubby wanted one that wasn't so shaggy and hard to groom. We found a rescue that was a great dane/ hound mix! He was perfect!
The hubby named him Indy.
He's about 2-3 years old. He's housebroken, (fantastic!! : ) knows a few basic commands, (when he wants to "remember"...) and he's very gentle and calm. IN THE HOUSE. When you get him outside around other dogs and/ or lots of people he goes bat-shit crazy!!!
This is why he and I are starting obedience training Wednesday night. Oh, did I mention he doesn't come when called either?? And that when we took him to the vet he had a major ear infection so we get to start out our first two weeks torturing him with ear meds?? (no wonder he won't come when called...)
Over the weekend I happened to catch Indy in the neighbor's yard. That's a problem because we have a FENCED IN YARD!!! Panic ensued inside our house as we raced outside to track him down. That was followed by the hubby going outside and "fixing" a few spots that apparently this monster of a guy could squeeze through. (He's only 80 lbs - I call him my "mini dane" but he's tall.)
This morning, before heading to work, I went to fetch him from the yard after his morning poo time. I couldn't find him. At all. Damn it! He escaped again! The "fixes" weren't "fixed" enough, apparently. The problem now is that the hubby is out of town. I was on my own.
After much wandering through the neighborhood, trudging through bushes, brambles, overgrown trees, ravines and underbrush I caught him. (See, doesn't come when called) Luckily we had circled back around and were close enough I could walk him back to the house instead of back to my car (which I initially drove through the neighborhood trying to find him) because he was COVERED in mud. I shut him in the garage and retrieved my car from the other end of the development. Gave me time to calm down because at this point I admit I was rethinking this new dog decision...
The local K-9 Wash-n-Go is closed on Mondays. (crap!) so Indy got a nice warm sponge bath in the garage (which he enjoyed waaay too much, if you ask me) before he was allowed back inside. I had to change my clothes and ended up at work 2 hours late.
I'm hoping, dispite this fiasco, he will become my hiking buddy, running friend (oh, he LOVES that. that's another sotry for another day.) and I hope he will even go camping with us. But before we try any of that I need to be confident he'll come when called!!!
Check back here for more Indy shenanigans. Because, unfortunately, I have a feeling there will be more to come.

1 comment:
Amazing how quiet a full house can be without a dog in it, huh? I had the same emotional struggle with getting a new do after Pooh King died. I think we both made the right decision!
I hope your obedience classes go well... I can't wait to hear the stories!
Post a Comment