Monday, November 06, 2006

Work

I dont' usually write about work. As you know, these blogs are public, and I want to keep my job... you get the point. However, there is a funny little incident that happened this morning - but bare with me as you need a bit of background...

In my office (Syracuse) there are a total of 6 people however one of the guys lives about 2 hours away and travels A LOT so he's rarely ever here. So that leaves 5 of us. Our "home" office is in Plattsburgh, NY. Don't know where that is? Think Lake Champlain - NY side, not quite as north as Burlington, VT. OK? with me so far?

It's in Plattsburgh that we have our warehouse, customer service,... well, everything except marketing. Don't ask me why. It was like this when I got here and apparently it's been that way for eons and eons.

As it happens our IT dept (consisting of Mike and Monique) is in Plattsburgh. I had the pleasure today of speaking with Monique. I don't usually talk with her as most of my issues deal with Mike. Regardless of who you're talking to - it's generally never a pleasant experience. I'm getting off on a tangent here...

Monique - how do I describe her? hum.... She has a nasal accent (although I have no idea where she's from. Must be really upstate NY.) that is very whiny. But along with the accent she has this personality that I can't quite describe. She seems to always be moving at a snails pace - or at least she talks very slow. The building could be on fire and I envision everyone rushing out and Monique would be shuffling along - everyone shoving past her to get out.

Have you ever spoken to someone and pictured them as an animal or some inantimate object? Well, today, while talking with Monique I pictured an old, tattered ally cat. One that talks really slow and whiny. Can you picture it?? She's not a bad person - that's just the image I get when I talk to her on the phone... don't ask me why. I have no idea. That said, plese do not tell me what you picutre me as when we talk on the phone. I'm afraid to ask... it's probably not pleasant.

Those of you that know me will immediately understand why I was so annoyed with having to work with her. I am just the opposite of slow. I work fast. I mean, super-duper-lightening speed fast. I don't "do" slow. If forced to "do" slow I get VERY irritated. I try not to - but I just do. So you can imagine my consternation of trying to pull information out of her over the phone. I think I may have only 2 strands of hair left...

damn ally cat!

No comments: