
Whew! The ride is O-V-E-R! Thank god...
Well, I wasn't able to do the whole 100 miles. I'm kinda bummed. but I learned that apparently my "mild" exercise-induced asthma isn't so mild after all... and I don't have it well controlled either... which is triple embarassing seeing as I work for the company leader in AEROSOL DELIVERY DEVICES!!!!!
So, long story short (because giving you the play-by play of a 100 mile ride would be tough for even the best story teller...) 3.97 miles into the ride I had to stop because of my crappy-ass asthma (that isn't supposed to be a big deal!!! AAHHHHH!!!!) I had to get off my bike, get in the SAG wagon ("safety and gear") and ride until I was better. It took me only about 10-15 minutes and I was fine and ready to go!!
"all right - let me out. I'm fine. I've only missed a few miles. let me out!!"
only problem - rule is, once you're in the SAG wagon - for whatever reason (medical emergency, flat tire, etc...) you're in until the next stop. Figures - I got in the wagon early in the LONGEST section (the very FIRST section, might I add...) So I was held hostage until we got to the first stop/school.
Well, that's how David got to finish and I was about 20 miles off. Oh well. Next year I'll get the asthma under control (and condition better for the hills. They were KILLER!!!)
We still had a good time even though we came upon a thunderhead and saw lightening that made me think that Dorothy and Toto were about to make an appearance in a tornado, got caught a shitty downpour (from said thunderhead we saw that we apparently had ridden into) - like the kind where you're riding and the raindrops are stinging your skin. (of course we were still riding....)
But now I have a personal score to settle... so you can bet your pretty panties I'm doing this again next year!!! So - start saving your pennies now becuase I'll be out hitting y'all up again for donations come about July-ish....
BTW - the pic above is from the local news channel. The guys in front in the white jerseys are two of the "shepards" (leaders). The left is Carl and right is Todd. They are AWESOME. Both are racers. Shepards are strong riders that set the pace, watch out for the other riders, assist with issues, etc... kinda like scout leaders... Carl and Todd pet the pace the WHOLE ride. I should mention that a ride like this is ALL about draft. If you're leading you have no draft, you're creating it for everyone else... which means you're one hell of a strong rider. Oh, did I mention that we had a wicked headwind all day too??? These guys need to be given some SERIOUS props!! Although I'm sure that in the scheme of things this ride was really nothing for them, but thee deserve some credit....
4 comments:
Sorry about not finishing, but you still deserve a "you go girl!"
You are still wicked awesome!!!
Thanks y'all... all I can say is that I tried.. and I'll be damned, I'll try harder next year!!
Post a Comment