Thursday, December 04, 2008

blurrrrrr

I'm having one of those weeks where I can't remember what day it is... Not because of my can't-remember-my-zip-code-bad-memory kind of can't remember... It's the I'm-so-stressed-the-days-are-flying-by-so-fast-I-can't-keep-them-straight kind of can't remember.

And to top of this fabulous week I have a baby shower to go to this weekend. Not just any baby shower... a family baby shower. D's cousin's wife is prego and my MIL and I are going. At first I was pleasantly looking forward to going. (excited is too strong a word...) And then it hit me.

Shit.

I bet I get bombarded with "So, when are you and David going to start a family???!!" or some such iteration of the question.

We've been married approximately three weeks longer than the aforementioned prego couple and are a few years older. Not a good mix when it comes to "baby" questions - assuming you don't yet have them - which, of course we don't.

I want to reply with "none of your damn business".

Because it's not. But I shouldn't be so rude. But then again, they are by even asking...

Maybe we don't want children.
Maybe we're not ready.
Maybe we've been desperately trying since the moment we said "I do" and by asking they keep opening an emotional wound.

Maybe we don't have a clue just yet.

Regardless of the answer - it's none of their business...

Now I have some friends of mine - probably some of you reading - that have asked me this very question. If I've not given you an answer then I'll admit I'm probably not comfortable talking about it with you. Sorry. If I have given you an answer, well then I've obviously known you long enough and well enough to share. But I don't go around discussing this with everyone. And honestly - not everyone gets the exact same answer.

And I'll tell you right now - there is no one at this shower with whom I feel comfortable discussing my reproduction plans.

So - between work and this shower I'm a bit stressed.

And how am I really going to answer if someone asks???
"Oh, ... why, that's quite a personal question. (insert coy smile here). I'd rather not discuss it."

...and I'm really going to try and be nice about it and hope my overactive eyebrows don't give me away...

6 comments:

WanderingGirl said...

I think that's a great response, and if they keep pressing, the "None of your damn business" line is appropriate too!

emily said...

Dave and I use to get that question ALL the time. I use to say we were in active negotiations and change the subject.

good luck this weekend!

Sweet T said...

rather than "active negotiations" you could just say "we are enjoying practicing too much to start trying". That should shut 'em up.

Zoo Keeper said...

nice sweet t... that probably WOULD shut them up....

usually D's side of the family is a rowdy bunch and they'd get a kick out of that reply but this particular "offshoot" of the family would probably be a bit embarassed by that comment - which is exactly what makes it perfect for me to use!!!

THANKS!!!

MadHatter said...

excellent ideas, or you could say something about your membership in the swinger's club being paid up through the end of the year, so it will definitely be after that so there is no doubt about paternity!

Sara said...

So, no sh1t... there I was, staring in the face of impending reproductive premature aging, when I decided... I don't give a damn how old my eggs get or how much people think I should be pushing out babies... it really is none of their damn business. However, it's way more fun when you aren't married living in the burbs and get to say, "I plan to have kids the old fashioned way.... on accident." LOL