Monday, December 14, 2009

I'm definitely not a kid anymore...

This weekend I finally got around to painting our bedroom. I know, we've only lived in this house for over FIVE years now...

One night last week I trimmed the edges while the hubby was out of town to make it faster for me to get it done in one day during the weekend. So come Saturday I painted the room with two coats. Well, almost 2 coats as I actually ran out of paint! It's not like our bedroom is huge. But I went through a gallon. I haven't used a whole gallon for any of the other rooms...

Because the room still smelled like paint and because I didn't want to move back furniture to sleep just to move it out of the way again the next day to finish touch ups I decided we weren't going to sleep in that room that night. I figured we'd leave it as it to make it easier on Sunday to finish.

So, to make it more "fun" I proposed that we pull out the sleeper sofa in the family room and have a "sleep over". Hey - how else do you sell sleeping on a pull out couch??

I didn't purposefully buy a sleeper sofa. I picked out the one I liked and it happened to be a sleeper. I say this because it's in the family room - not an ideal place to put guests. As a matter of fact I don't think we've ever actually used the sleeper portion before. 1) we have a guest room and 2) it's in the middle of the family room which is open to the kitchen. Whoever is up first (me) will be making a racket feeding the animals, watching the news, etc. It's just not feasible.

Also the family room is a small rectangle. You are required to move the coffee table to utilize the sleeper and even then you only have just enough space to walk between the end of the bed and the sliding glass door. (Thank goodness we have blinds for the slider!!)

Well, we pulled it out. I put on the only set of sheets that we have that fit it - currently our "camping" sheets. As soon as I put on the fitted sheet I remembered that last time we took the dogs camping they put big slices through it. So the fitted sheet on the sleeper has doggie toenail marks through it. Not good for use with guests, but what do I care if I'm using it??

I finished making the bed and the hubby and I climbed in. We watched some tv and when I was tired he used his trusty headlamp to read a book. (which is the same method we employ in our regular bed...)

I tossed and turned trying to get comfy. It's not possible on a sleeper sofa. I don't care what you say - it's just not. But apparently I feel asleep because the next thing I remember is looking at the stack of sofa cushions the hubby put on the leather chair beside my side of the bed. There was the unmistakable outline of a cat atop the cushions. He finally moved, as though trying to figure out how to get down. I thought to myself "good luck with that", rolled over and closed my eyes. Seconds later a huge clatter. The hubby "what the hell was that???" I guess the cat figured out how to get down after all...

Also, Nikki apparently didn't get the memo that we were downstairs to SLEEP. She kept pacing and would smack at the slider to be let out. Did I tell you there's snow on the ground here?? She didn't have to go she just wants to go play in the snow. We kept telling her to lay down. She would still wander around and come back and smack at the door. Finally at FOUR am the hubby let her out thinking maybe she did have to go since she's kept it up for so long.

Nope - she just went outside and ate snow on the deck.

We had the usual fight for leg space with cats. That's not new. We also had to listen to Liam snoring all night. He hasn't slept upstairs with us for a year or so now since his arthritis is getting so bad. So we got a reminder of why we aren't so upset at his choice of sleeping accommodations downstairs.

Then the morning came. Or rather, I decided I'd had enough and got up. And then I realized why we don't sleep on the pull out regularly. I HURT! I ached all over like I'd been beaten with a baseball bat. My hips hurt, my neck hurt. My knees were stiff. I felt AWFUL!!

What happened to being a kid when we thought it was a treat at a sleep over to get to sleep on the pull out???

Never again.

3 comments:

emily said...

is this a preemptive attempt to discourage family from visiting for the holidays?

WanderingGirl said...

Dude, I slept on my pullout for almost 2 weeks. I have advice if you ever have to do it again... 4 inch memory foam topper. It makes it a sweet-ass sleep. Ask my Mom. She did it when she came to visit (while I slept in the basement room which has all the noises and is DEFINITELY NOT THE ROOM ANYONE WANTS TO SLEEP IN). Worth the $$.

MadHatter said...

So if your mom ever wants to do any over-nighter, we know where you will put her.