Monday, August 09, 2010

In search of the perfect shave

Haven't we all, at some point, been on the search for a perfect shave??  I've been on this quest for some time.  And I know some of you have too.

And it's more than just a shave.  I'm concerned about the environmental effects of going through those metal shave gel cans.  They aren't recyclable.  I know KVeg is concerned with animal ingredients and animal testing.  So I took these factors into account when I purchased this newest shaving cream.

I'd decided I'd try the shave cream route.  And when I say "shave cream" I mean an actual cream that comes out of a plastic bottle and doesn't really lather.  (as opposed to gel or foam) This way the container is recyclable.  And a bottle of the stuff actually lasts longer than a can of gel.

The first one I tried was a while ago and it was "Skintimate" shaving cream.  It was right there in the shaving aisle with all the other foams and gels.  Not sure on the animal testing part because I didn't look at the time.  But I highly DO NOT recommend it.  In their attempt to provide a butt-load of moisturizing components they created a formula that was greasy.  And it clogged up my razor!  The razor wouldn't cleanly rinse each time and I ended up ruining blades after each shave.  No good.  This was my first attempt at the cream and I thought if all of them were like this I wasn't going to get far!!

So I went back to regular gel.  But a few weeks ago I was in the Nature section of the grocery store and saw a plastic bottle with a pump of shave cream from "Kiss my Face".  It was almost $6 for a bottle but this thing will last FOREVER!!  It's definitely cheaper, in the end, than a can of foam or gel!!

It comes in scents but I opted for the fragrance free version.  You pump out just a little and lather it up in your hands.  It doesn't bubble or foam but the thickness of it seems to increase when you "lather" it.  I used it on my pits and legs and it's great!!  It also cleanly rinses off everything - skin, razor blade, shower curtain (I flopped it around the shower a bit...)  I HIGHLY recommend this stuff!!  And it's vegan and does not test on animals.

Now, if I can just perfect the 'stash wax I'll be set....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are many products that I have discovered in my quest for vegan and cruelty-free items that I just love! I will have to show you sometime. Kiss My Face is one of them. :)

The Coach's Wife said...

i absolutely love every product from kiss my face that i've ever tried! i'll have to give that shave cream a try...assuming i can find it out here in po-dunk...sounds like a travel-friendly product, too (can fill up a travel-size bottle rather than buying those wasteful, and rather expensive, travel-size cans).

while i've never met her, i think of KVeg almost every time i shell out a small fortune for my vegan shampoo and conditioner. i'll admit i use it specifically because it's great for color-treated hair, but the fact that it's vegan makes parting with the money less painful.