Friday, September 10, 2010

*Sniff*sniff*

Folks, I will find out today whether my beloved little Cabby cat is dying.  : (

This is my 15.5 year old, blind kitty.  (and yes, the one I shaved...)

She hasn't been eating for the past week.  A month ago she weighed 5 pounds.  Yesterday she weighed only 4 pounds.  She was dehydrated and they had to give her fluids at the vet.  They also did a big blood work-up.  We're afraid she might have kidney disease.  I think we'll get the results back today or tomorrow. 

If it's kidney disease there's no cure.  It would be a matter of making her comfortable.  But I also don't want to see her suffer.  I think we may be at that difficult place - time to make a decision.

Cabby was my first cat "on my own".  I got her at the end of my senior year in college.  She did the three day almost-cross-country drive to CO with me and dad when I went to grad school.  She flew from CO to OH when I moved.  And a long car ride from OH to NY.  She's been with me the longest.

*sigh*

2 comments:

emily said...

so, so, so sorry. if only our sweet furry children could live forever.

This Is It.... said...

I am so sorry Julie. I know she meant a lot to you, and hopefully you can find some comfort in all the years you did have together :(