Thursday, September 09, 2010

"So now I come to you.. with open arms..."

I had my first piano lesson last night on over 20 years.  Can you believe it?  When I did that math I damn near fell off my chair! (or the piano bench, as the case was.)

If you've peeked at my FB status you'll know that I have a FABULOUS piano teacher.  Her name is Bernadette.  I'm not going to give her a nickname because I think the name Bernadette is just too cool.  (tho I might shorten it on occasion...)  When I first met her in the piano store over a year ago I remembered that I liked her and I never forgot her name because... well really - Bernadette is hard to forget.  It reminded me of Bernadette Peters.  And MY Bernie is just as spunky and vivacious as B. Peters (but taller and with black hair, not red.)

She told me to bring everything I had that I'd been working on and she would go through it and decide where I needed to start.  Just last week I had purchased a "I Used to Play Piano" book on songs from the 70's and 80's.  (really - that's the name of the series!!)  I was sold on it when I opened it up and saw Journey's "Open Arms".  When I told Bernie that story and that I love Journey she got up and came back with a WHOLE BOOK of Journey songs.  After we reviewed all my music and she had me play a little she was convinced that what I had bought was too easy and that I'd probably have more fun with the book she brought it.  Which, by the way, were the original arrangements - not the yucky, watered down arrangements that were in the book I originally bought.  But of course I didnt' realize that because I hadn't cracked the book once I got home...

You have NO IDEA how cool this was!!  When I played as a kid it was classical music all the way baby.  Bndt doesn't care what I play as long as I like it and I'm learning.  (this theory of teaching probably would have gotten me a lot farther on the piano as a kid....  but I digress...) 

It's sooo much nicer to play as an adult.  No one is forcing me to play or practice (oh, all those hours sitting on the piano bench in tears with my mother beside me "play it again", "keep practicing"....)  AND I get to play "fun" music too!!

I know, I know.  It was one lesson.  But she was sooo much fun I'm inspired to go home and practice.  So far it doesn't seem like a "chore".  I know there will be times when I'm busy and I'll have to force myself to sit down and just "do it".  But that's ok. 

YEAH!!!!!!

2 comments:

eyeheartorange said...

sounds like fun! Do you have perform at concerts in Bernie's living room like piano lessons in 4th grade? Because if so, I would quit. But if not it sounds cool! Good for you!

WanderingGirl said...

You already gave her a nickname... you called her MY Bernie!