Friday, December 01, 2006

Stupid bluetooth

I could start to rant and rave about how technology was supposed to make our life easier but all it did was make it more complicated and fast paced - but I won't. I do enjoy a few perks of technology, computer, cell phone, text messaging, IM-ing, blogging... but I am definitely not a "first adopter" by any means. I'm too cheap for that. Let everyone else pay big bucks, figure out all the kinks and then I'll join in.

Case in point - bluetooth headsets. Back in October I got a new cell phone and I made sure it was bluetooth enabled so I could get one of those fancy cordless headsets. Although they've been out a while there are still some kinks. The hubby went through 3 different ones until he found one that he liked. You know, worked well with his phone, he could hear you and you could hear him, fit his ear/head well...

So when I first got the phone I was on my way to a biz trip out of town. I got the one they sold with the phone and brought it back the next day. It didn't stay on my ear well. Here would be a good place to note one of my biggest issues - my "freakishly small ears" (as the hubby calls them. there's a longer story behind that but I'll save that for a later post...) The ones that wrap around your ear never seem to fit me well - they fall off.

While I was on said biz trip I bought a new headset at the Philly airport. I LOVED it. It was a littel earbud piece that fit IN my ear. It was great. But I had this problem. Every 4-5 call I'd dial I could here you but you coudln't hear me. I'd have to hang up and call you back and then all would be fine. That's great and all but I also use this phone for business. Having to hang up and call back isn't a good thing. Plus it's annoying as hell.

Call the manufacturer and they sent me a new one just in case there was something wrong with the first. Nope - apparently there is some compaibility issue or something with this headset and my phone. Figures.

So I go to Best Buy today and get a different brand. It had a seemingly different way to wrap around your ear so I thought I'd give it a shot. Nope - my ear is so small that the headset can't even grip my ear. So after work I'm back to Best Buy to try again.

It's not that I wnat to be cool and walk around iwth a wireless headset. But I have to admit how much easier it is to use for work - when I'm off and on planes, not having to worry about cords getting tangled.

No comments: