In case you're wondering, Nikki Joan is recovering nicely from her surgery. Apparently this was a piece of cake compared to her ACL repairs. I think a lot of the knee problems were because I had to keep her knee bandaged for so long and she can't help herself from chewing on the tape. And since she can shred a regualr tennis ball in under 5 minutes you can imagine what she did to the knee bandages...
Well, we have other news regarding Nikki. For as long as I've known her she 's had issues with reoccuring urinary tract infections. Not a big deal - just trips to the vet and antibiotics. (and an uncomfortable dog.) But recently the "regular" antibiotics aren't doing it and we've had to buy super-duper antibiotics instead (read: much more expensive than the previous ones!)
We've had past vets look into this issue with no real solution. Most recently the vet had us x-ray her bladder and kidneys to make sure there's no stones. There's not. This whole reoccuring issue has all the vets perplexed. Finally, Dr. Dugan suggested that part of the problem may lie in the fact that her, um, parts in that area are very close together and may be cross contaiminating.
You girls know what I'm talking about. But try explaining to a dog to wipe front to back... especially since the dog doesn't wipe... yet....
Yep. That's what toe doc recommended. Wipe Nikki after she "goes" to remove any possible cross-contamination. I now am supposed to wipe my dog. I say "I" because David has decided this is my duty as a "mom". Great.
So I went and bought unscented baby wipes. Baby wipes because that's what the doc said to get. Unscented because that's what I would recommend....
side story - apparently when I was 3 or 4 I kept getting UTI's too. Doc couldn't explain it until somehow they got to the bottom of what was happening. Mom was letting me use Mr. Bubble in the every bath, every night.... Doc said to cut out fragrance and bubbles... it worked...
SO - I went to use the wipes for the first time. Let's just say that I'm not sure that I was wiping the "right" places. When I take Nik in to get her stitches out on Friday I'll ask for a quick dog anatomy lesson. Best I can tell it's different down there as compared to humans.....
1 comment:
My hubby says that doggie parts and people parts aren't that different (I realize how bad that could sound as I type...), he suggests that you figure out things are on you on all 4s and then compare to the dog's. Seems simple enough. TB
Post a Comment