Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Crack in security

You may have noticed that you no longer have to log in to see my blog.  Or maybe you first realized there was a change when I started showing up in your "followed" blogs section.

I decided to dump the privacy act.  It was adding extra effort for everyone and still not providing me with what I was hoping for.  The whole point in going private was to keep out people I didn't want in.  Well, that requires effort on your part to log in.  And then I found out afterwards that you don't get notified when I publish something new.  Which would then require you, in theory, to constantly be checking back at my blog for new stuff.

Today I decided to check the setting I had about keeping search sites from trawling my blog.  It does not appear to show up on bing.com.  but it's still #1 on google.  Not only that, it appears that once you click on the google link it takes you directly to my blog - without requiring a login - and then you can go anywhere in blog at that point.  Which appears to render all my other attempts at privacy pointless.  So why make my friends jump through extra hoops for nuthin'??

So I thank you all for putting up with my little "experiment".  I guess in the end I value my friends easily able to read my blog over worrying about some perv in Singapore doing naughty things to pictures of my toes.

No comments: