If you haven't figured it out by now I'm itching to get out of here. "Here" being, of course, Syracuse. We've lived here since April/ Aug of 2004. Meaning: I started working here in April, the hubby moved here at the same time we moved into the house (and also got married, but that's another story) in August. So take your pick of dates. We've been here almost 6 years.
I don't intend to continue to move around as often as I did when I was single. But I really don't want to live the rest of my life here. It's an ok place, but it's not my "forever" place. And the longer we're here the more antsy I get about not being to "get out" some day.
If I lived in a place where I wanted to be I wouldn't mind staying there "forever". But 2 or 3 more winters here... I can't even stand the thought! So every once in a while I'll take a peek at places I wouldn't mind living. And then I glance at the job market, etc.
One place I've been getting great ideas is called find your spot. It's a fun little site that asks you all sorts of questions and then gives you the top 20+ places that match your criteria. Here are some of the places they suggest for me:
- Portland, OR
- Charleston, WV
- St. George, UT
- Vegas Baby!!!
- Tacoma, WA
- Norfolk, VA
- Knoxville, TN
- Houston, TX
- Chattanooga, TN
- Tallahassee, FL
I was really impressed with Tacoma. It has very moderate weather and less rainfall than NYC. Of course the hubby and I need water and mountains. Knoxville and Chattenooga have both of those too. I'm actually more partial to TN just becasue it's closer to our families. But if we really fell in love with Tacoma family alone wouldn't keep us from moving out west.
Any info you might have, as it relates to living and working, in any of these places - do share!! I'm already familiar with Charleston, Houston and Vegas.
Oh, and honey - if yo're reading this - go back to "find your spot" and take the quiz again. We took it so long ago that it's time for an update.
3 comments:
I know nothing about nothing. However I feel you as a Chatanooga person. I worry that Tacoma may be more of the same weather-wise. I hope not really having an answer won't mean you don't ask again. I wonder what my spot would be?a
While I love Tacoma and Portland, you would probably hang yourself if you lived there all the time. You can get lucky and visit while it's nice, but it can be gray and rainy a lot, and it's freakin' windy during the spring. Norfolk's only a few hours from me. Just sayin'. I'm going to go check out where I should be.
for entirely selfish reasons, Coach and I vote for Chattanooga, Knoxville, or TALLAHASSEE! ;^) You can row year-round in TLH. Then maybe I wouldn't be itching to leave here so badly. Of course, if you were in Knox or Chatt, moving to Huntsville would only put us that much closer to you. =)
Post a Comment