Over the past few months I've been pondering becoming a "Big Sister". As in the big brrther, big sister program. No, I'm not trying to get either one of my parents to procreate. (ew... I just threw up in my mouth a little.) If you're not familiar it's quite a process. Paper applications, background checks, in-home interview, etc...
There are several reasons I don't have kids. And I won't be getting into them here. But I've been thinking just because I can't positively affect the life of my own child doesn't mean I can't positively affect the life of a child, right?
I think parenting is quite a monumental job. And I'm not just referring to the time and money commitment. I'm often staggered at the prospect of one or two adults being soley responsible for creating and shaping a person to be a productive member of society. Granted, some do a better jobs than others. Some do the best they can but feel they aren't doing enough. Conversely some do the best they can and leave it at that.
But a lot of you reading this are parents so I don't have to expound on this.
I figured I have 8-10 hours a month to volunteer. I'd like to think I'm a good role model. (usually...) So why not. Surely there is some little girl out there that could use a friend.
Sure enough there is. I met her last night. She's 11, going on 12 and in the 6th grade. I can't give her a nickname for the blog yet 'cuz I don't really know her. Her mom signed her up for the program because she feels that her daughter would benefit from someone who can expose her to things that she can't. She specifically asked that they help support her in developing socially and educationally.
I can do that. At least I think so. We've already chatted for a few minutes. She likes the zoo (oh boy!! me too!!!). She said she rode a horse once and really liked it. (I'm sure I can swing some riding somewhere here once it gets nice. WG - too bad your fam is so far away!! ; ) Her favorite subject is math. I gave her a high 5 for that one!! gotta encourage kids to like math and science - especially the girls. And she likes to read.
I have a few questions to throw out to you teachers. ST -with regards to math, she said she's doing lots with fractions. Is that general 6th grade math? is it behind? ahead? I honestly cannot remember 6th grade math.
As for reading she's really into the "Bluford High" series. I did a little research ('cuz what do I know about young adults books today - except, of course, Twilight....) This series is considered young adult. It's African-American based, rather most of the characters are African -Am. It's written on a 5-6th grade reading level but many older kids read them to - story lines to keep there interest. So here's my question: what are other good books for this age?? I mean hell, I grew up on Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume!!!
But I figure I'll start simple and easy. I'm going to pick her up tomorrow after work and take her to the house so she can meet my "kids". I figure we'll bake some cookies or something. That's starting out easy, isn't it??? I'm always open to good suggestions too!!
Wish me luck!
4 comments:
this is something i've wanted to do for years - not having a kid but still having an impact on the life of a child is very much a part of my personal philosophy. maybe if i can get a job that doesn't seem to always require unexpected hours at the worst possible times i'll actually realize my hopes for being a "big sister" myself! you've got so much to offer to a young girl, she's lucky to have such a fab big sis!
That's awesome! As far as 6th grade math, I would think you wouldn't just be learning what fractions are, but more along the lines of learning to add/subtract/multiply/divide them, or converting them to percentages etc. The Hunger Games and it's sequel Catching Fire are super popular with boys and girls her age. Beyond that, I just know about boy stuff. And yes, that parade was in F.C. and the kids were with us.
Thanks guys! I should clarify that she is adding/ subt/ mult/ divid. fractions. I have my first outting tonight with her so hopefully I learn some more useful info!!
teacher here says to check your state standards.....type in something like "state-I-live-in 6th grade standards".....ideally it will link you to your dept of ed website and you can check what she should be doing in all of her courses....you could also check and see if her school has a website. Most schools not only have one, but are required to update them frequently with homework and other info. (this is really cool beans of you to do, by the way....)
Post a Comment