Sorry for my absence but I was in Florida for work last week. I flew out early Monday and came home around midnight Thursday. I had Friday off. So much has happened since last Monday I don't know where to start (or what exactly you'll be interested in reading...) So here, in chronological order, I will try to recap some funny, some interesting things.
1. Apparently hell froze over. I connected to my FL flight through Detroit. I had gotten up really early to catch my original flight so I was really hoping to sleep on this leg. I was in the aisle with a relatively young mom, dad and 2 year old. (I say relatively - I know the mom was under 30. i.e. younger than me.) The toddler was starting to get cranky before we ever pushed back from the gate. Yes, I admit it. I fly 99% for business and I have no kids. Therefore I am one of "those people" that cringe when kids get on my plane. I completely understand that families travel and kids are part of the package. And kids, more often than not, are just fine during the flight. But not always. So when this toddler started getting fussy (and I myself had been up since 4am) I started to panic. In a fit of desperation I started playing peek-a-boo with her hoping to calm her down. Next thing I know she's holding her arms out to me wanting me to hold her.
I know, I was as surprised as you probably are. I usually repel kids. Or scare them. But little Madalyn wanted on my lap. I didn't care and her mom didn't either so I took her. She immediately curled up and went to sleep. On my lap. On a 2.5 hour flight. Needless to say, I didn't sleep because I was afraid to wake her. Her mom and I chatted that whole time. (Believe it or not, I rarely talk to people on planes.) Maddie stayed put. She slept until about 30 minutes before touchdown. Even then she was groggy and just flopped around occasionally. All in all she was fine. At one point I asked her mom if my MIL had paid her for this little stunt. Mom laughed and assured me she does not know my MIL - but knew how I felt.
(Note: as cute as she was she didn't sway my personal feelings on having kids. So, MIL, if you're reading, your little stunt didn't work.)
2. Kayaks and gators. I was in FL for our managers meeting, There were 8 of us total. Three of us are women. Wednesday afternoon was supposed to be our "group activity day". Which I find ironic as we NEVER do anything as a group during this time. Not to be the one to upset tradition, Eastern Division Manager and I decided we weren't getting roped into another round of golf. So we booked a kayaking trip in the Everglades. Customer Service Manager wasn't feeling well so she opted to stay at the hotel and linger by the pool. EDM and I took an AWESOME three hour guided kayak trip in Everglade City. Our guide was SO knowledgable!! It was just me, EDM and the guide so we got a great experience. Not to mention we saw LOTS of gators. Some in the 10-15 foot range. As in LONG. We would just paddle by and they'd just be there. Maybe 15 - 20 feet away. It was surreal. (and a tad scary..) I was doing ok until the guide asked if we would be interested in going through some narrow areas to get to a cyprus forest. I thought it was a fabulous idea... until she grabbed her paddle, started paddling into the reeds and yelled over her shoulder "just watch out for snakes." I stopped. Did you know I have an unbelievable fear of snakes??
I finally sucked it up and went. Luckily I didn't see any snakes. Then again, I wasn't looking that hard. Hopefully EDM will send me some pictures she took and I'll post them.
3. Painting a basement floor. The hubby and I finally had enough time to paint the basement floor with the Rustoleum floor kit. An epoxy paint, complete with chips you sprinkle around. It's drying as I type this. Looks MUCH better than the original floor. And it hides the wear and tear from our first sump pump flood, let alone the second one....
4. And finally - the library ROCKS!!. I haven't had a library card since, well... I don't think I've been in a library since grad school.... I decided to get a local library card Friday. I thought it would be a good thing to have now that I have a LS. Can I just tell you how COOL it is?!?!?!? Ok, ok - I'm sure lots of you guys with families, and/ or teacher are already in the know. Did you know you can rent MOVIES there?!?!? For FREE!!!!! (the hubby and I watched Adventureland last night.) And our library also rents ebooks that I can download on my Nook!! For FREE!!!! How cool is that?!?!?!? I was just playing around with it before I decided I needed to blog about all this stuff.
PLUS - the day I signed up for my card they were telling me about upcoming events. They were having their first FREE yoga class the following day. They are starting to have a free yoga class every Saturday!!! AWESOME!!!! So I went. I took my own little yoga mat all by myself (cuz KVeg crapped out on me : P ) It was very basic but just what I needed. (I've been having some issues with my back and hips... ) the stretching really helped!
So, here's what you need to glean from this post:
1. If your toddler starts to be comfortable with ALL strangers, be worried. Not a good sign for the future.
2. Gators are fun to watch. Behind a fence. But if you decided to be stupid and look at them in a kayak it's probably better NOT to go during mating season. (did I mention that it's now the start of mating season???)
3. It's a wonderful feeling knowing you and your significant other can complete an arduous task without killing each other. It's even more gratifying to know that you actually work well together.
4. Get a library card!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment