Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Interesting....

I just started reading Super Freakonomics by Levin and Dubner.  Note this passage in the introduction: (as in, I haven't even gotten to the "meat" of the book....)

Indian women also run an out sized risk of unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, including a high rate of HIV/ AIDS.  One cause is that Indian men's condoms malfunction more than 15% of the time.  Why such a high fail rate?  According to the Indian Council of Medical Research, some 60% of Indian men have penises too small for the condoms manufactured to fit World Health Organization specs.  That was the conclusion of a two-year study in which more than 1,000 men had their penises measured and photographed by scientists.  "The condom", declared one of the researchers, "is not optimized for India".

Does the book have your attention??  It has mine. 

Although if I were an Indian male I'd be all pissed that someone let the cat out of the bag....  But then again, this is the culture that brought us the Kama Sutra....  I suppose they felt they had to make up for lack-o-size in other respects...

Excuse me while I go back to reading this exceptionally interesting book....

2 comments:

emily said...

think i just found my new favorite read!!! perfect timing, I just finished a really good book now has me looking around the house wondering what to do next.

MadHatter said...

a collective WTF!!!!