I'm sitting at my desk thinking about the state of my career. (or current lack of it) About how I'm antsy to get moving again. About how I long for a challenge and excitement.
But I won't deny that this current position has perks.
After years and years of running, stressing, going 175 mph in all my previous jobs, this one is quite slow moving. I really enjoyed this pace the first few years. It gave me time to breathe, to relax. However, in the past few years I recognize that this pace is too slow for me. I could try and go faster but there are bottlenecks throughout the company that keep me from going my "perfect pace". The company is just a little too small.
We don't have meetings. Well, we do but not really. I might have a meeting, scheduled or not, once, maybe twice a week. That's it. (and even those are usually 30 minutes, tops) Which is a real shift from my previous employer where I had to work 12 - 14 hour days just because my 8 -5 was filled with meetings - and when am I going to actually get my "work" done??
And after reflecting on the lack of meetings, I realize a side perk to this arrangement. Because I'm not running from meeting to meeting, or trying to get a little work done between meetings, I actually am able to use the restroom whenever I want!
I know I have some queasy bathroom people reading this. So I apologize. But this is very important. Do you know how much happier I am when I'm able to answer my body's call when it's actually calling?!?!?! And not put it on hold for hours?!?!
If you are one of those people that purposefully put your body on hold you really should try and change that. I know not everyone has the luxury of going whenever the need arises. I know some of you are teachers and only can sneak away between periods or during lunch and planning. Or maybe you have an "issue" with going #2 in a public bathroom. (I know who you are...) Or maybe you hold it because your husband is home.... (I think I now know there are at least two of you that do this, not just you... you know who I'm talking about...)
I don't care if you play the radio loudly and use a ton-o-air freshener in order to make you more comfy while in the presence of others in your house. But I think if you get past these "issues" you will find yourself relaxed and happier overall. Really. I do. Because I know I was a bitchy mess when my work schedule dictated my "other" schedule.
Just try it. It's liberating!
Editors Update: I was just informed by one of my readers that she may not "toot" in front of her hubby, even though they've been married over a decade, but she will "do her business" while he is in the house. Of course she also thinks I was referring to her in the aforementioned post.... but I will not confirm nor deny it.

2 comments:
#1--are you talking about me in all of these #2 references???? (I am working on it)
#2--I have recently found a product called "courtesy flush"...a few drops in the toilet before you need to thoroughly use the bathroom and you share much less of the experience
If you are such a liberated bathroom user, then why not a picture of yourself on the toilet? Just sayin.
Post a Comment