Thursday, May 06, 2010

To help or hinder...

We have a DVR.  At fist I balked because I didn't want to spend more $$ each month for the increased "rent".  Yes - I'm cheap.  If you didn't already know that then you don't know me at all.

But it didn't take long for me to truly fall in love with the ability to "tape" (as I like to call it.  Gimme a break - I'm a child of the 80's.  I know nothing has a "tape" anymore, but that's how I'll always refer to it.)  a show and watch it whenever I want.  I almost NEVER watch a show live.  Unless I'm just channel surfing...

So imagine my frustration that I've begun to notice a terrible event occurring.  And what's worse, I think the networks are doing it on purpose!  The hubby and I will be watching a show and the show/ taping will stop a minute or so before the show is actually over.  It tapes long enough for you to get the resolution of the show but you miss some little scene saved for the end. 

ARG!!

I KNOW it's the networks.  They want you to watch the show live so you get all the commercials - and them the revenue.  But of course, that's one main draw to tape instead of watch live.  I can fast forward through the commercials! 

I've tried altering the taping time to go a few minutes past the show but that doesn't always work.  If there are 2 shows we're taping back-to-back it appears to not tape the next show at all if you overlap the time slots.  (We learned this the hard way...)

So now I'm moving more towards watching on the computer.  But the resolution isn't as good...  but at least I can see the end!  And of course I'm still paying a premium for the DVR "rental"...

Stupid technology...

No comments: