The weekend was so long that I forgot to update you on an "incident" we had Friday afternoon. Don't worry. KVeg has already been told this story so no one needs to worry about her sensitive nature being traumatized. Besides, there's a happy ending.
Friday my boss let the office out early at 3 so I headed home home to do a little shrub trimming. I did just a bit and was so zonked that I went inside to "rest" for a bit and fell sound asleep on the sofa. While I was sleeping the hubby was trimming our tall evergreen trees with the electric hedge trimmers.
I woke up from a deep, groggy sleep because the hubby was yelling at me to come outside. Once I got out there he looked helplessly at me and said "I don't know what to do!" I walked over to find three baby sparrows, with feathers but still little tufts of fuzz, on the ground, their nest above in the tree, in tatters. Apparently the nest and the birds did not beat the match with the hedge trimmers.
The hubby was devastated. Two of the birds appeared fine but the third one... well, the hubby accidentally cut one of it's legs off with the trimmers at the "knee". I told him I wasn't sure he was going to make it. I was pretty certain he was going to bleed to death. After assessing the situation in another 10 minutes the bleeding appeared to stop. The sparrow parents were on the fence behind us, I'm sure shouting obscenities at us for hurting their children and their house.
I told the hubby we need to step away and let the parents do their thing. While we were hanging out on the deck I got online and searched what to do in this situation. If they babies are healthy and the parents are around it says let the parents take care of it. Since one was injured I looked up wildlife rehab in our area and found Devine Nature Wildlife Rehab Center. Actually, the farm itself is called BMR Acres. I called up, explained the situation and Mary Ellen told me to come on over. So we packed up our little bird in a plastic bowl lined with tissue and set off.
Once there Mary Ellen took the bird and agreed it may or may not live. She was going to have to feed it every 30 -60 minutes for the next few days. We also got a tour of their facility. It's quite the set up!! They have a "Wish List" so the hubby and I are going to gather up some stuff and take over to them. They're always looking for donations and items from their wish list. So if you're cleaning out and have those things to throw away please send it to them instead. Or send it to me and I'll make sure it gets there.
And for an even better ending...
Mary Ellen just called me to let me know that the Pegleg is doing great!!! He's able to stand and balance on both legs. She anticipates she'll be able to release him soon! Thanks Mary Ellen!!!

3 comments:
Yay! Glad to hear the baby bird is doing well!! :)
omg, were you freaking out? I would have been freaking OUT.
so the moral of the this story is never do yard work . . . right?
Post a Comment