Last night I ran 4.5 miles at the lake. Granted - it was probably an 11 or 12 min/ mi pace.... I usually would know except three minutes into running my beam-me-up-Scottie-fancy-GPS-watch ran out of battery... and I don't wear a "backup watch" to time my run. Although it occurred to me when I was done I probably have a chronograph on my iPod or something...
I walked a bit to warm up (these joints need a little warmth before I can start into my trot these days) and then hit it with my bouncy- walk (aka my 12 min/ mi. pace). My calves started tightening up immediately. Not cramping - not bad enough for me to actually stop - but it was painful. A few times I did "pull over" into the grass to stretch them out. (I didn't want to get run over by rollerbladers or out-of-control-tykes on bikes!) I'd start out jogging again and they would start to burn instantly. I persevered. It took me to mile marker 1.75 before the burn was out!! WTF?? I'm convinced it was because I wore high wedge sandals to work. (Close your gaping mouth. Yes, I do own a pair of high wedge sandals and yes they are mine, not borrowed...)
As I was clopping along at my Clydsdale pace I was going over where this extra 35 (ok, maybe 40) extra pounds has come from since college. (In all fairness I do not aspire to get back to my "college weight". Honestly it was too low. A good 10 - 15 pounds heavier than college is a healthy weight for me.) As I was pondering this my brain jumped to the very "unhealthy" genes I'm probably carrying. Over the past 10 years I've had several relatives on both sides die. Two of them very unexpectedly and at young ages.
Because of health problems in my family I've always tried to keep on top of getting all the appropriate health tests on a regular basis - ex. blood pressure, cholesterol, thyroid and even arthritis indicators. It occurred to me that even though I bitch and complain that since I've hit 30 I put in weight sooo easily it's probably a blessing in disguise. If I was a naturally skinny bitch I wouldn't give two thoughts to my health. I probably wouldn't work out at all. And then I'd probably end up dead at a young age of some hereditary disease that I could have prevented if I had exercised regularly and/ or been on top of my game and always made sure I had the basics checked out by my doctor.
That said I want y'all to make sure you're getting everything checked out. Especially if you are having a specific problem. Even if it scares you to do it. Even if you don't think you have the time. Because there are people out there counting on you so you have to take good care of yourself you can take care of everyone else!!
No comments:
Post a Comment