Thursday, September 16, 2010

A lesson in amortization

I wonder what other gals spend on clothes in a year.  I always say that I'm on the cheap end of the list only because I hate to shop.  But then I went to the Clarks store today and dropped almost $300 on three pair of shoes.

But it's because I want them to last.  Last year I got rid of my "black shoes" (yes, my shoe collection is so sparse that I can call a pair "black" and know which ones I'm talking about) only because they were about 8 years old.  They were Clarks.  They cost me about $80 eight years ago.  I don't think $10/year for a pair of shoes is bad at all.  And I bought this cute pair to replace them:


About 4 years ago I bought another pair of Clarks that were $110. (this would be my "brown" pair) They aren't nearly as comfortable and I've been wearing them every year since because I felt guilty about spending so much.  But I decided to replace them this year with a new pair.  These were only $80.  So $110 over 4 years comes out to $27.50 a year.  Not as great a bargain a the black ones, but still....


And I bought a third pair of sporty things so I can run errands and such on the weekends without wearing my "real" running shoes and making them crap out faster than they should.  These I image will last me many years.  (I got them in gray so they will look newer for the long run!!  I thought I was being very clever...)  Which is good because I want to make my running shoes last as long as possible because thy are over $100/ pair.


Now I just threw out lots of prices that add waaay up.  I know.  But I have almost told you every pair of cold weather shoes I own.  The only ones I left out are:
  • my cowboy boots (which I'm wearing right now)
  • brown pair of low boots
  • brown pair of "booties"
  • black pair of high boots 
  • cheap brown ballet flats (from Target - which, btw, won't be lasting past this fall.)
That's it.  Now some of you may rival my collection but I know LOTS of gals (like Wandering Girl) that need a whole other bedroom to house their shoe collection.  (ok, maybe not after the fire... but I would imagine she's replaced all the lost ones by now.  She can't help herself!)

In all honesty when you add my warm weather shoes the count does go up. 
  • brown sandals (of course)
  • black sandals (of course)
  • 2 strappy sandals (for two specific formal events.  neither pair are comfy so I might as well just get rid of them)
  • another pair ballet flats from Target - which will probably only last thru next year because I didn't wear them much this year
  • Almost forgot my black NYC hooker heels....
Ok - since I'm filled with Catholic guilt and I'm not even Catholic, I should add the following:
  • aforementioned running shoes
  • low hikers
  • regular hikers
  • rain boots
  • snow boots
  • a few random pair of old running shoes I should toss, except for one since I wear them to to cut the grass and garden in
  • crocks (that usually act my pair of slippers)
  • Clemson slippers
Those don't really count though, do they?  They are sport or extreme-weather specific. 

How many pair of shoes do you own?  be honest.....

4 comments:

The Coach's Wife said...

in the interest of complete honesty (i was raised catholic, after all)...i actually went in to my closet to do a count...i think i'm going to be sick...and i must preface this by saying these are from years of purchasing with very little editing:
50 pairs of dress/dressy/casual shoes (meaning those for fashion, not necessarily function, probably eight pairs of which are black and each serve a very different purpose)
5 pairs of sneakers (not the running kind)
4 pairs of ankle boots (soon to be five since i purchased a new pair just yesterday from Nine West with a 30% discount)
2 pairs of knee-high boots
1 pair running shoes (for actual running)
1 pair of cowboy boots that i've had for 14 years and have worn five times or less
1 pair of faux-fur-lined winter boots worn once when we went to a football game in chicago in -2 degree weather
and a crateful of flip flops (but i do live in FL, so those just come with the territory).

all but my running shoes, two pairs of sneaks, and the flip flops are kept in their original boxes stored on the top shelf that runs the perimeter of my closet. and i think i will now spend some time tonight getting rid a few pairs that i'm 99% certain i will never wear again. thank you so very much for bringing this problem to my attention. :-/

lol

MadHatter said...

I am like you--brown pair, black pair, etc....total count probably about 15 pairs and 99% of them were less than $20 and are well past comfort and looks. As I age (ahem) I find that I need to spend more on key pieces just so I can look like a profesional

Zoo Keeper said...

Neda - you totally crack me up!! And MH - I have to spend more on shoes as I get older because my feet frickin' hurt!! I know $80 - $90 is a lot to spend on a pair of shoes but if you're standing no your feet all day teaching I definitely consider it something to save up for and get for your own comfort. (might I recommend Clarks or Bor - ok, they dont' scream "young and hip" but c'mon - aren't we past that for everyday shoes??)

WanderingGirl said...

Don't you judge me!!!