Monday, July 11, 2011

Sad Day

We had to make the impossible decision today to send our lovable golden, Liam Conner, up with the other pups in the sky.  It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make in my life.  It was sad when we had to say goodbye to Cabby last September but she was very sick and our decision put an end to the suffering she would have ensdured for maybe 24 - 36 more hours.

This was different.  Liam had terrible arthritis and other "big dog" joint issues.  I'm convinced he was going senile.  But then this past weekend he had a seizeure that I witnessed and that made us realize he'd had one 2 weeks before.  So 2 seizures in 2 weeks for an old dog - not good.  I'd been discussing his future with out vet for the past several months.  The seizures pretty much made the decision for us. 

It's been a very sad day.  I had a very interesting softball game that helped divert my attention for an hour or so.  But the house is so quiet.  If you had ever visited or talked to me on the phone you'd know that Liam AWAYS panted - no matter the season.  We'd joke that we were going to get him his own 900-number so he could start earning his keep!!  So for the past 8 years (we adopted him when we was 4) it's been a constant racket here either with his panting or snoring.  (or farting..)  take your pick. 

And now nothing. : (

I love you Liam.  You were a fantastic and loyal doggie.



2 comments:

MadHatter said...

So sorry....we finally put our old dog down too. She had two seizures and went downhill after the second one. I wish we had the guts to be as compassionate as you all earlier because the end was bad. You did the right thing.

WanderingGirl said...

I feel your pain, sister. I feel your pain. So sorry.