Thursday, May 24, 2007

Bay to Breakers Run - San Fran Part 2

Have you heard of the Bay to Breakers run in San Fran? No? Well I'll tell ya about it. It's a 10 mile run that raises money for AIDS programs. But remember, this is California, and San Fran no less. There's an implied understanding that the race isn't just any race....

The first two parts looked harmless enough. First the elite women go past. Just as you'd expect. Serious runners, bookin it. Then the elite men come by. But wait! Why are they flanked by.... Elvis's??!!!!! Yes folks, the elite men in the middle with about 20 Elvis impersonators running with them (for only a block or two.) As if the costumes weren't hard enough to run in - they are all carrying plastic cups of beer too. Lots of "whoo"-ing going on...

And then the rest of the parade, I mean race, starts to come down. Once the "serious" people are done (probably a hundred or two, total) everyone else starts down. I think there were something like 50K people registered for the race - but many didn't register - they just joined in to show off their costumes. Many are "racing" but at more "normal people" pace. But interspersed are people in costumes - running in costumes! All kinds of costumes. Some are walking due to restrictions of their get-ups. Like these storm troopers, for instance....















Or these kyakers, for instance. See the blue fringe? There were 4 guys that were part of the kyak.... The kyak was around them and they had the fringe hanging off the edge - but I could
only get this pic....
I don't know exactly what she's dressed up as....
And then there were the naked people. This picture is tame. Case in point -try and find the topless girl in this picture. However, most were butt-ass NAKED. Ok, they might have had on running shoes. A few also had hats and maybe a fanny pack - NOT covering the fanny though...
And someone explain to me why 95% of all the naked people (mostly men, by the way) were OVER 60!!!!!!!! Yeah. great mental image, isn't it? Did I mention it was only in the 50's that morning too?? um, yeah. We saw a guy that had taped his, um, member. You could have hung your coat off it. Then we saw a guy that had put a sweatband around it. You know - 'cuz he's going to work up a sweat in this race.... There was also a naked guy with a santa hat, red thigh highs and roller skates. Yes folks - welcome to San Fran!
So most of the naked men had beaded necklaces. Think Mardi Gras. One VERY naked man (wearing ONLY shoes and a hat) stopped and asked Kathy if he could take his picture with her. He walked up to her, put his arm around her and his friend snap a shot. We were all so stunned none of us thought to take a pic with our camera... A bit later another VERY naked man walked up to Dom, gave him a wink, gave him beads and then kept walking. Dom wasn't exactly sure what to do. He took them and then promptly handed them to me. I'm now a proud owner of "naked" blue beads.
After the first 15 mintues it wasn't a "race" anymore. At this point we started to refer to it as a parade. Most people were walking. ALL of the naked people were walking..... Thank god.....
Then we joined in! No, we didn't strip and jump in the fray - but we did walk with it for a bit before heading back to the hotel to get ready for the conference.
Gotta luv SF!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that I only live your life vicariously. Way too much um, Fun, for my taste. I'm a prude, I know!
TB