Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Century ride

Do you know what a century ride is?? I didn't. But I do now because I'm doing one the end of September....



A century ride is a 100 mile bike ride (in a day, in case any of you were wondering....) David and I were part of a group that was approached and asked if we'd be interested in training for and riding in a cnetury ride. It's actually a fundraiser for the NY Center for Missing and Exploited Children. David and I figured it's a great way to workout from now through September and it's for a good cause... WHY NOT!!



Well, you don't want to ride 100 miles on a mountain bike. Well, you could, but it would be hard. And let's face it - this is going to be hard enough as it is. I don't need anything working against me. SO, David and I went out and bought road bikes. Yep! NEW TOYS!!



I won't even give an estimate as to how much we've spent on this - as of last night. We have a GREAT bike store close by and we got our bikes there, and a bunch of accessories... and apparently those weren't enough accessories because we were back last night for more... Let's just say that it's in the mutli-thousand-dollar range.... good thing we didn't plan a "real" vacation this summer....





David's bike...





















My bike. I have the cool aerobars like David but I just haven't put them on yet...














This week commences our first week of "training". I say "training" because it's a ride, not a race. The difference is that on a ride we all ride together at the same, easy pace. They average is about 15 mph. It's completely police-escorted. We ride for about 20 miles, stop at a school, have snacks, get back on a ride about another 20 miles and stop again. The kids come out on the street from school and cheer us on - they will spend the whole month learning about how to keep safe, etc.. and our stop at their school is just part of the pep rally they have earlier in the day to wrap-up the whole safety learning experience.



David and I are looking forward to it. But ask me again after I've done my first 40 mile training ride on july 8th....

3 comments:

WanderingGirl said...

Good thing you've got padded pants! I'll go ahead and recommend Gold Bond Medicated Powder for the chaffing. A century ride is fun, but tough on the ass.

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I am so proud of you! And hit me up for money - I am good for it! If I can train for a marathon then you can ride for 100 miles! :) CR

Sweet T said...

Yeah, I remember when Danny and I spent lots of money on fun stuff that WE wanted to do....that was way before kids! :)