Monday, June 04, 2007

Latest Trip

Did you know that Palm Springs, CA is in the desert?? I didn't. Needless to say, I was shocked when I looked out the window of the plane. I knew it was going to be HOT - but not hot and sandy... It really is out in the middle of NOWHERE.

We had our western regional meeting in Palm Springs. The division manager, Brett, has already been told that he'll never be able to outdo himself on this one. It was quite spectacular! It was hot - but DRY. Yummy - heat and dryness. Hell that beats hot and muggy any day of the year! And of course I come home to have to do yardwork on Saturday. Man, I was outside in the yard sweating like a hooker in church! I was only in a bikini too!

Ah, yes, the bikini.... Let's say that I won't wear it in "public" anymore. However, due to the nature of our neighbors I do not consider our front yard as "public". Needless to say I did go out and purchase my first tankini for the previously mentioned regional meeting. There was a bit of lounging by the pool in front of workfolk.

Warning - here's my commentary on appropriate swimwear.

I hardly ever wear a bathing suit. The last suit I bought was several years ago - and it was a bikini. All I own are bikini's. Up until a few years ago I looked ok in them. Now I look as though I'm a chunk of meat being stuffed into a sausage casing. I know this. It's ok. Our bodies change. I'm 31 for god's sake!

Now last summer when we went to the beach for a week I did NOT purchase any new swimwear. 1) I didn't want to spend the $$ on something I never wear 2) It was just in front of my dad, in-laws and the hubby. The hubby has already committed to me so I wasn't worried 3) there was no one else I knew. (or at least I was banking on the fact I wouldn't see anyone I knew... and I didn't. ) Now I didn't look great at the beach - but I don't think I was going to get mistaken for a beached whale, either.

Well, being in a bathing suit in front of people you work with is a different matter. I hit Old Navy and got a nice tankini and skirt cover up for all under $50. I can swing that. I think I made a nice transition into swimwear for the 30's bunch, thank you very much. However, I think someone needs to tell those few out there that didn't get the memo.

Some of us girls were sitting at the pool the day we got there and I saw all kinds of things I didn't want to see. (Why have I been seeing things I don't want to see so often lately???) Now I'm sure that some people at this pool (which was in the resort we were staying in) probably had the same thought process as I did when I went to the beach last year. Who am I here to impress?? Ok - fine - but PLEASE don't wear something that causes people to GAG!!! Yes - I saw the token European in a speedo (or at least I hope he was European.... at least it seems better to swallow if you know they're not American...) and of course - the 275 lb, 5'4" woman in a STRING BIKINI!!! Um, yeah. I didn't want to see that. I'm all for different body shapes, but please dress it appropriately! Just for your sanity (and the fact that you already put up with recent naked pictures) I did not snap a shot of her to post.

Ok. I'm done with my rant. And just for being good I'll post pictures of our cookout we had at the resort on Wednesday nite. Yes folks, I'm here for work... and no, we're not hiring. :)


Dom and Brooke(of kick-boxing fame...) Dom cooked all this GREAT food!!















He grilled this chicken and asparagus. He also had prime rib on one grill and prawns the size of my head an yet another grill! It was a feast!









Here's Denise enjoying a nice adult beverage. And Fred sneaking snacks inteh background...













Finally - here's Doug (the Mel Gibson look-alike) from Texas and Fred, from MS. He was so excited to find this hat. He swears he can't get a hat like that in Mississippi... See CA is good for something!

1 comment:

WanderingGirl said...

Did the Mel look alike get tanked and yell slurs at everyone? Looks like fun even if he didn't.

And thanks for no more naked pictures. If I want to get grossed out I'll get naked in front of a mirror!