Last year I spent a few months training for a 100 mile bike ride. I took one week off after the ride and then started my three and a half month training period for my half marathon. After my half marathon I essentially quit. I have run about 3 times since mid-January.
What happened?? I used to prefer working out early in the morning but I can't seem to roll out of bed before 7am anymore. (remember, 7 is late for me and definitely not enough time to get to the gym, workout, shower and get to work.) When I don't work out until after work I'm 75% less likely to do it at all. (75% is my not-so-scientific estimation. Although honestly, it's been more like 99% lately.)
I have to have someone to work out with. But I've been running a lot lately and need to find someone that wants to run with me too. But is around my pace. I'd love to find someone who is all about swimming to help me get comfortable in the water. I tried joining a "meet up" group a few years back to get to know more people but it didn't work out. Explain to me how a few hundred people in a group can be full of the most exasperating drama I have ever seen! I tried joining the group to help relieve stress (and boredom) but all it did was make me long for a quiet day on the sofa, or deck, reading a book. Geesh!
So - anyone out there in the blogosphere need a training partner? I'm convinced we can try to keep each other accountable via the internet. (Although I'm not exactly sure about the logistics of it...)
So if anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them.
Update:
I've been sitting at my desk trying to figure out what happened. Why have I lost my motivation? And I don't mean my motivation for the past few months. I mean I've lost my motivation over the past decade. I know, life changes, people change. But I feel like I'm losing great habits I used to have as a kid/ young adult. I remember in high school I would spend hours in the room above the garage dancing, doing sit ups, donkey kicks, gymanstics, all kinds of things. In college I loved to workout! (so long as it didn't involve long distance running or rowing... but that's a whole 'nother story...) I was driven. Now I'm not.
I always end up in the same place - I end up beating myself up over it. All I can think about is my cushy job, the fact I have no kids to eat up my time and energy, I have a husband who is at practice anyways so what's keeping me from working out when he's not home? Is all this signs of extreme boredom?? That's all I can conclude...
I think I need to stop rehashing all this and, in the infamous works of Nike - Just do it. I need to just set my alarm for 'O-dark-thirty and get up and run. (Did I mention I never hit the snooze button on an alarm in my life until after I got married??) I need to stop being bitter that every day I'm up "early" and the hubby is all snuggled in bed and cozy. I should be thankful I still have a body that physically can run. Because one day I might not...
2 comments:
well, after years of complaining that i couldn't find a workout partner here in The 'View, despite many repeated attempts to enlist my local friends, i'm doing that whole couch-to-5k thing on my own. i know it's not your pace, but we can certainly keep each other accountable for our own individual goals! i'm in if you are! the program, if i stay on track, will culminate the week of memorial day. after that, if i really like running, i may start training for a 1/2 marathon.
OMG, I totally hear you! I have been really big on working out before work, but when I tapered that down to, oh, nothing - I NEVER want to get out of bed and workout... Even getting up to do pilates is painful! I will do it with you too! Although, I may be doing it after work sometimes if that is okay...
Post a Comment