Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A bunch-o-miscellaneousy

My morning didn't start out so great.  First I found out about my lost status (see previous post).   And then it went downhill from there....

As I was trying to get an up-close look at Em's adorable twins on my computer screen I accidentally whacked the top of my knee against this stupid metal support on my keyboard tray.  As in "that exact spot" where your stomach starts to churn and you see spots.  And if you're lucky you might be able to actually keep yourself from passing out.  It hurt like a mother *&#$!% !!!!!!  It didnt' help that my office was unbearably hot.  You know, 'cuz we've had SNOW recently so our office heat is on.  That just made the vomit reflex ten-times worse...  But don't worry.  There was no up-chucking at my desk.  But I did have to sit for a while with my head between my knees until all those so-unpleasant-feelings passed.

Then on a positive upswing the hubby sent me a picture of our newest neighbors!!



Man, they are really ugly right now... In case you can't tell there are 4 baby robbins in there.  The hubby and I saw the momma and papa "upgrading" the nest.  The bottom of the nest is from last year and they added an "addition" right on top of it.  Do any of y'all know whether birds return to their own nests or did they just track down a vacant property and call dibs?  Either way they sure are adding value to the neighborhood dwellings!  They are fabulous little nest builders.

Last year we had similar visitors.  (the same ones??)  But not long after the birds hatched they mysteriously disappeared.  I know, I know.  They're birds and they eventually grow up and fly away.  But they only seemed about a week or two old when we didn't see them anymore.  I'm afraid they met with an untimely demise (aka neighborhood cat, raccoon or other similar bird- feasting beast.) 

Anyone have any ideas on how to better keep these little guys safe?? I'm open to suggestions!!

And for one more totally miscellaneous tale...

I just want to brag that I'm the BEST bargain shopper EVER!  Now that the hubby and I have a painted bedroom and a cool headboard and reading lights I think it's about time our linens say "adult, married couple" as opposed to "college kids".  Several years ago I actually bought a whole bedroom ensemble.  I really wanted a duvet cover for my duvet but couldn't find what I wanted and so settled on a "bed-in-a-bag" thing at BB&B for several hundred dollars.  (I'm too ashamed to even say how many hundreds...)  I even bought the curtains that matched too.  But the comforter was too hot and therefore sits folded on the GUEST bed along with the king pillows with the matching shams.  In our bedroom we have these wild curtains ('cuz they match the spread) and a goldish bed skirt.  With goldish sheets and a green cotton blanket.  All mis-matchy...

This past weekend I decided to put the whole thing on Craigslist.  (and sadly no takers yet.  It is kinda wild... and king....)  So I wandered around in Sunday looking for a chocolate duvet cover to start the redecorating of the room.  I searched everywhere!  I looked on Overstock.com at home.  At the stores closest to me I went to Target, TJ Maxx, BB&B, Kohl's, even Wally World!!  Nuthin' I was in love with.  Finally dad suggested JCPenny.  It was on my list but I really didn't want to have to drive all the way down to "the mall".  But I did anyway. 

And then I found it.  A king sized, plain chocolate duvet cover and 2 matching shams.  ON CLEARANCE!!!  The original price tag said $150.  (which I thought was pretty good even for full price.  I wouldn't have paid full price, of course, but most others I saw were in the $200 range.)

And then I looked at the most recent sale price tag.

$100???

Nope

$75????

Nope

$50????

Nope

Remember - this is a KING set....

The tag actually read:  (drum roll please)....

$14.97!!!!!!

I shit you not.

I even took it to the register to confirm.  It rang up as $29.99.  (which I would have happily paid) but I pointed out that all the other sets (only queens were left) all had the $14.97 sticker.  And without any hesitation the sales lady agreed.

I paid $16 and change for a king sized duvet cover and 2 matching king shams.

So even if the existing set doesn't go on Craigslist I won't fee so guilty about donating at some point....  (but I'll probably try eBay before that....)

3 comments:

eyeheartorange said...

that is totally awesome!! That may be the best bargain story I've heard. Yay for redecorating!

Sweet T said...

I will now put your picture at the top of my bargain-hunting shrine! Go girl!

Unknown said...

As the mother of three boys, I would not rule out the possibility that some neighborhood children made off with last year's bird family.