Why? you may ask..
I just realized that I lost my status with USAir.
Now for those of you that don't travel often this may not seem like much of a crisis. Most people who travel don't have status. So yes, I now have to travel like "everyone else".
Except that I do a lot of traveling for work. (although apparently not enough these days...) I have had status with an airline my whole professional career. While there is an upside - I'm not traveling as much as I used to - the truth is I still have to travel.
And this is a problem.
Within the next 6 weeks I will be on a plane for 4 of them. That's a pain in the ass - regardless of what kind of status you have. But consider that I have to fly this next month and a half without:
- priority check-in
- priority seating
- free checked baggage
- priority boarding
- possible upgrades to first class
- not to mention bonus miles for flying and a bunch of other little tidbits that I won't bother mentioning here
If any of the above happened to you I'm sure it was a royal pin in the ass. But I'm also betting that you were traveling for vacation. Maybe a wedding... But you weren't traveling for work. Where you're expected to show up at your destination. On time. And ready to "work".
And the last time you flew I'm guessing you probably did it only once, maybe twice within one year. (Ok, Christy and Neda are exempt from this. But on the other hand you probably feel my pain. And maybe Emily too. Especially Emily because maybe you flew a lot in the past pre-babies and now have to look forward to traveling forever in the future with twin babies....)
I'm on the road four of the next six weeks.
Not having status when you're traveling for work SUCKS!!!! As a matter of fact, having status makes it worth it to be on the road for as long as it takes to get it.
So excuse me for the next six weeks while I travel all across the US and back several times.... If I'm cranky you'll know why.
1 comment:
I DO feel your pain!!!! I know I'm going to lose my Delta status after this year and it's giving me chest pains just thinking about it!!!! Will the next six weeks bring you back up to status for next year???? I sure hope so! Honestly, it's the priority seating and priority boarding I'll miss the most...there goes the luxury of overhead space. Upgrades are a definite perk, but they're not something I've truly become accustomed to, so I won't miss them quite so much. I also have a Delta AmEx, so the free checked baggage will remain a perk for me through that affiliation.
Post a Comment