Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Mouse Massacre

KVeg - skip this installment and visit back another day.

Yesterday mrning while I was feeding the "kids" I saw Jax over by the (non-working) pump organ.  I can'texplain exactly how he looked but I knew instantly that he was hunting a mouse.  You know, the slow strike position, the paw forward and sideways with a "whap-whap" motion....  But I figured hey - it's the living room.  He probably got one of his play mice stuck up underneath the ogan.  I didn't think about at all the rest of the day.

Until....

Later that night while feeding the "kids" the hubby has me come over and look at the piano.  Now it's Jax and Karl stalking something under my piano.  My gorgeous, beautiful, black, shiny piano.  I tell the hubby about the organ incident earlier in the day and hope that it's just one of their toys.  That's when the hubby informs me he caught them earlier in the day doing the same thing to the oven....  Uh oh....  This is not good....

Fast forward to much later that night.  I'm in bed reading.  I hear the hubby "oh no!  Honey, come down here!!"  I had a sneaking suspicion what he was yelling about so instead of jumping out of bed and running downstairs to see the newest cat "toy", I yelled back "what is it?"    He kept trying to persuade me to come downstairs and finally I told him "if it's a dead mouse just get rid of it.  You don't need my help."  Which was absolutely true.  Had I been downstairs and he reading I would have just done it.

But then I hear "Jax, DROP IT!  Jax, I said DROP IT!  DROP IT!  Ewww, gross!  JAX!!  DROP IT!" 
 (it's a cat, not a dog... but I wasn't going to go downstairs to tell him otherwise...)

Yeah, I definitely wasn't going downstairs.  I've grown up with cats - inside/ outside cats - and I know what they do to mice.  In the past Jax has killed a mouse, whapped it around a bit and left it the middle of the floor for me to find his "trophy".  I hear the crinkling f a doggie bag, the opened and close of the slider and I know it's been taken care of.....

Then the hubby comes upstairs and proceeds to try and share his horrific experience with me.  I stop him. "I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like what you're going to tell me.  So don't.   And next time when I have to deal with a similar situation I won't tell you about it.  Deal??"

So that was the end of that.....

Until this morning when we got up to run.  The hubby shares that he "saw the mouse in his sleep.  It was really gross."  Ok.  Now I feel guilty for not helping shoulder the burden of his obvious trauma.  So I told him to go ahead and tell me about it.

I'll not drag this part out to gross you out - but the gist is this: when he was yelling at Jax it was because the cat had it in his mouth and wouldn't let go.  The hubby actually had to pry open the mouth of the cat.  Even then all that was there was the "front half" of the mouse.  That was what the hubby bagged and threw away.

So that leaves the question - where's the other half??

Did the cats eat it?  If one of them did, will the little bones hurt them???
Will I run into whilst cleaning one day???

I have experience with a dead mouse via a playful cat. 
I do not have experience with a dead half mouse via a vicious cat.

What to do???

3 comments:

emily said...

i need a cat. i thin we have a mouse in our garage. . . my dogs are not versed in the sport of rodent killers.

Unknown said...

Okay, this is just gross.

WanderingGirl said...

Oh yeah, he ate it. When I was in PT school and lived in an old farm house, the field mice could get into the basement through the cellar door, then up into the house they cAme. My cat (then) Chickenwing LOVED it. Even without front claws he was an awesome mouser. I frequently awoke to the horrified screams of my roomies when they found his trophies. We eventually put a scoreboard on the fridge. By the end of the first semester it was Chickkenwing 11, Mice 0.