First of all I want to give a shout out to my wonderful coach/ honey. His school took 3 boats to nationals this weekend. One W8+, one M8+ and a M4+ . (for non-rowers, that's a girls eight, boys eight and boys four - all are coxed). The two boys boats are the hubby's. Not only did his 4 make it through the semi finals to the grand finals but they finished 6th in the nation!!!!!! He's checking but we're pretty sure no other boat from his school has ever gotten so far. And the even better news??? Only one of them is a senior! Hopefully we'll see a repeat next year!!
While he was at nationals I was home, having just driven home from NH. Saturday I was content in setting my rear in a chair on the deck and reading for the day. But many of my neighbors were doing yard work. I felt bad... the weather was great - not too hot, not too cold for yard work. So I sucked it up and mowed the front and back and did some serious trimming of the bushes in the front yard. But I left the trimmings for the hubby to clean up. That's kinda our unspoken deal. I trim, shape and weed while he gathers everything up and puts into the paper yard bags. If I'm lucky I'll have trimmed enough to encourage him to purchase and layout the mulch while I'm gone over the next few weeks... time will tell.....
After I was done mowing neighbor Joe (of the night-o-gin fame...) was out on his deck with a friend. (he had already finished his yard work.) He invited me over. So of course I took him up on it. I was disgusting! But then again so was he. I sat on his deck drinking beer and shootin' the shit for a while. But I couldn't sit there too long. My hubby would be home later that night and I had to color my hair and wax!!!
Wax what, you ask?? My bikini line and my moustache. (it sucks having dark hair....) For years I've been waxing my own bikini line. I know some gals really cringe when I mention I'm a DIY kinda girl, but really it's not that bad. Years ago I found this product, Surgi Wax that was awesome. You heat it in the microwave, take a wooden stick to spread it on. In about 30-45 seconds it hardens up to a stiff, yet flexible wax. You just grab a corner and yank. Not fabric strips required. Worked like a charm.
I had recently used up the rest of my bikini wax so I went to buy new. However the company has made some changes. Now it's "SurgiCare". And they added a bunch-o-stuff to the box, to increase I price I'm sure. Before it was a tub of wax and small wooden sticks. Now there's a "cleansing gel", a pot of wax, a tube of "soothing lotion" and wooden sticks.
I decide to follow my usual routine. This "personal beautifying ritual" entails mixing and applying the hair coloring first. Then I use the time waiting to wax. No reason to change my routine. I briefly take a look at the instructions included just to confirm any usage changes. You're supposed to use the cleansing gel over the area first. (I'm pretty sure it's just a Purell knock-off). Then you heat the wax as usual. This is when I ran downstairs nekkid to the microwave.... hope the neighbors weren't looking. (see what you can do when you don't have kids.. ; ) However I noticed it's a different color and much thinner once it's melted.
I grabbed the wax, head back upstairs and proceeded as usual. But there seemed to be a hitch. The wax is thin. I put on another layer. I wait the requisite time and grab a corner to give it a yank. Instead of hardening and coming right off it's still very pliable and sticky. So sticky, in fact, that I no have it between my fingers and it's sticking to my skin like taffy! I look like a kid playing with their blue taffy between my fingers!!!
And because it's tacky it's also stringy. So I'm stringing this junk all through my bathroom while trying to wrestle it off my fingers! After that first try I stop and decide to stir the wax to cool it down. I'm convinced it's just too hot. Once it cools down it will behave as usual. So I try it again.
I pick a spot that still has little, thin wax residue spread around. I'm thinking that when I put this new wax over it the old will pull off my skin. I spread it on and waited at more than 60 seconds. I didn't want it to string again. No luck. I ripped it off and it was still stringy. But it's also leaving wax residue that won't come off!!!!! I already have it stuck all over my finger pads and nails. But the use of new wax isn't pulling off the old. What am I going to do?!?!?
The instructions say to use the lotion to remove any excess residue. I'm squeezing it one my hands and rubbing them as though I'm washing them. To no avail. It's NOT coming off!!!! I use the lotion on my bikini line to remove the residue there. It's not working there either. I have sticky splotches of wax all over my bikini line - not to mention spotty hair removal on said waxed area. I'm starting to panic because it's not budging!!!
Then my panic increases when.... the timer goes off that it's time for me to rinse my hair!!!
Oh god! What am I going to do?!? I'm covered in wax but I don't want to accidentally chemically burn off my hair!!! Shit!!! I grab a wash cloth and literally start scrubbing at my bikini line and my fingers. I'm frantically looking around to see if I can salvage the plastic gloves to use while in the shower. I don't want to get my waxy fingers in my hair. It might end up like a wad of sticky bubblegum in the hair if I'm not careful!
I finally get in the shower having gotten most of the wax off (but not all). I take my chances using my bare hands to help rinse my hair. I see a blue spot on the tub floor and when I try and move it with my toe I realize it's a piece of wax ground into the texture of the tub floor. Ugh!!!
Once I was out of the shower I continue to try and remove the remaining wax off the bikini line. Screw it. I'm tired of fighting with this junk. I'm a VERY unhappy customer with the new formulation. I recommended the old version all the time. Now - they lost a customer! What's worse - I don't like any of the alternative brands so I think I'm going to have to invest in getting it professionally done now. : ( Y'all know how I don't like to pay for something I can do myself....
So I recommend you stay away from the new Surgi formulation. If you've had any luck with any other brand please do let me know! I need a replacement!!!
Note: why is it I have such terrible experiences with hair removal products??? Has anyone else noticed my issues I've had in the past???
1 comment:
You got me all excited thinking this was going to be the bomb...I am DIY with the stache but looking for something better to do with Australia (down under). For face stuff Sally Hansen strips work pretty well. Let me know if you find better bush stuff.
Post a Comment