Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Moving forward to the 21st Century

I just signed up for Netflix.  I know.  It's old news.  Seems everyone has been "doing" Netflix forever.  I never really got into it because I didn't think I was that much of a movie person.  And then last Saturday I changed my mind.

There's a big difference between "not being a movie person" and "not watching a lot of movies".  I thought I was in the former group.  After this weekend I realized I'm really in the latter.   I like watching movies.  Usually.  It's just that the hubby and I don't watch many.  Or rather, we don't watch many "together". 

Typical Friday/ Saturday night at our house:

me:  whatcha want to do tonight??  ('cuz we all know getting dolled up to go dancing or bar hopping is not in the cards for this duo....)

hubby:  uh, I don't know.  (which is his standard response.  It kills me. and I usually respond with:)

me: oh, for the love of Pete!! get an opinion!!!

... and then we digress into an argument.  Oh wait.  That doesn't happen every time.  I got sidetracked.  Backtrack and let's try this again.

me: whatcha want to do tonight??


hubby: uh, I don't know.

me:  how about we rent a movie?

hubby:  ok.

I tune to iControl and we start scrolling through the movies.  I start naming the ones I wouldn't mind watching.  He stays silent, which I can only conclude means he's not interested in what I'm suggesting.  Finally, after no response, I ask him to please name some he's interested in so we can come to some agreement and get on with the actual movie-watching.  He may mention a few that I really have absolutely NO interest in seeing.  Or he may respond with "I'm really not in the mood to watch a movie".

Fine.  Whatever. 

As you can imagine, the evening proceeds with no movie purchased and watched.

But don't get me wrong.  There are LOTS that I'd like to see.  I do try and watch one on occasion when he's not home.  But since he's usually traveling during the week I don't watch many.  You know, kind of an unspoken rule for myself that I can't stay up late and watch movies on a "school night".  Or there are so many I want to watch I don't have enough time.  And at $5 a pop I don't want to accidentally run up a $50 extra on our cable bill for the month. (which, given the chance, I'm sure I could do, no problem.)

So I'm trying Netflix.  I chose the queue.  If he wants to watch them with me then GREAT!  If not I guess I'm having date night by myself.  Which could be construed into many things but I won't go there....

1 comment:

emily said...

my man's the SAME way, except he will eventually sit down and watch whatever I'm watching regardless of if he likes it or not (it's the whole moth/flame syndrome).