Thursday, October 28, 2010

Well, that backfired!!

I try cooking all sorts of things.  Not all of it ends up being "my favorite" but I generally like most things I make.  I would say 90 - 95% of recipes fall into the "I'll make that again" category.

Rarely is it that I make something that I can can barely eat or absolutely hate.

So this must be one of those rare times...

Last night, after making dinner (from a Cooking Light recipe, where I get most of my recipes) I whipped up a quick soup, also out of CL.  I knew tonight would be busy, the hubby at practice and then I leave to swim and run before he gets home.  And I won't be home until 9 or so.  I figured I'd make this soup, take some for lunch today and then eat it for dinner too.  The hubby surely can heat up soup for his dinner, right??

I was interested and excited about this soup.
  1. It was easy to make
  2. It only made 4 servings so I wouldn't be left eating soup lunch and dinner for the next week
  3. It had parsnips - which I feel is a very under-utilized veggie in my house
  4. It also used a gourmet mushroom blend - and I love me some fungi!!
  5. It had chickpeas and I'm trying to incorporate more beans into my diet (flatulence aside...)
  6. It used a prepared rotisserie chicken - can't get easier than that
I whipped all of it together while doing other things like cleaning up the kitchen, watching TV, etc...

Today I just heated up the soup for lunch and...

Ugh!  It was awful!!  Not often will I say that about a recipe.  I practically held my nose to get it all down.  (It was all I had for lunch, after all....) 

Shame on you Cooking Light for publishing that recipe!!!

Hopefully I can get the hubby to suck down a serving before I bring to his attention that I didn't care for it and throw out the remaining 2 servings... (or for my luck he'll actually like it...  who am I kidding?  He doesn't like mushrooms and I don't think he really cares for parsnips....)

2 comments:

emily said...

I use to do a lot of CL recipes . . . and had a few hits/misses. Now I use Everyday Food by Martha Stewart (simple ingredients, quick and easy). OMG! I haven't made a bad dish YET!!

The Coach's Wife said...

i took a rachel ray shepherd's pie recipe and turned it vegetarian this week...and it was actually good! swapped out the meat for an eggplant and some veggie crumbles and used veggie stock instead of beef stock. it also uses parsnips! i add peas to the mix to give it a little color. let me know if you're interested - makes a huge portion that usually ends up being at least a dinner and a lunch for us both, if not two dinners.