Tuesday, October 18, 2011

hmmm... I was afraid you'd say that

The half marathon is done.  The medals put away.  The gross, smelly clothes washed. 

But we're still planning on running!  The next event is a 10K turkey trot on - get this - THANKSGIVING!!!  But, as you saw in my previous post, my toes are not feelin' the love.  At all.  So I headed off to my local Fleet Feet to get some info. 

Side Note:  If you're going to run ALWAYS go to your local Fleet Feet!  If you don't have one at least go to your local "real" running store and get fitted for the appropriate running shoe.  DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT just go to Kohl's and buy what's on sale.  You'll regret it.  I promise.

I always go to FF because they measure and scan and watch your stride a bazillion ways to see what shoe is best for you.  And if you're not happy then they'll fix it.  Case in point.  About a month ago when we really started to increase mileage I started getting some of the toe blisters.  I'd had that particular pair of shoes for over a year and they'd been working for lower mileage so I just got the same pair a half size bigger.  You saw my toes after the HM.  I think it's safe to say these "new" shoes aren't working either.

I went to FF today, gave them an up close and personal review of my (toe) issue and got refit.  Gave them back the offending shoes, paid $10 (difference in price) and walked out with a new pair of better fitting shoes.  I should mention that I've been buying running shoes there for the past 7 years and this is the first time I've had to swap out shoes.  But it's nice to know they'll do it.  And I also got some advice on how to take care of my toes until they heal.  Nice bonus....

But here's the rub (pun intended).  I've lost a bit of weight since starting to run.  ANd y'all know I'm cheap and I HATE clothes shopping.  I went over to FF at lunch in chinos and a t-shirt (and requisite cardigan).  I rolled up my pant legs so he could  measure my feet, fit me with the shoes, etc.  Once the shoes were on he asked me to step over to the track and give them a jog so he could see my stride and I could get a feel for them.  (they literally have a stretch of rubber track in the store)  As I started running away from him I realized what a bad decision this was.
  1. my pants were literally falling off
  2. my boobies were jiggling around inside my bra
Suffice it to say I need to buy new pants and bras.... And it was even more embarrassing to run towards him....

Now all I have to do is make it through the next few weeks at trade shows in pumps and hope my toes can hold up.  If not then I suppose I'll have to sacrifice some toenails....  ugh!

No comments: