Monday, March 26, 2007

I almost forgot! the first hole....

Remember when I said I hadn't played golf since 2001? I should note here that even then (and now) I only play with irons 5 and 7, a putter, a sandwedge and a pitching wedge. That's it. No woods or drivers... I haven't yet learned how to use them. After you read this you'll know why I'm not ready to "graduate" to them...

We rented clubs (and carts, of course) for this whole 18 hole debacle. As I mentioned before, Doug was driving our cart for the two of us. We tee off at the first hole. I don't remember it - I must not have done anything impressive. I dont' think Doug did either. We jump in the cart, follow the next strokes onto the green. As we pull up to the green Corey and Jon are telling us to just bring our sand wedge and putter - that's all we'll need. So I go in the back and start rumaging through my clubs.

me out loud to everyone: is the "S" for sand wedge?
everyone else close to the green, only half listening: yes
me: out loud again, to everyone: is the "P" for putter?
everyone else close to the green only half listening: yes

I bring my S and P and we all take turns whacking at the ball in the sand. Someone, not me, gets it close to the hole. We all get ready to putt. As I'm waiting my turn I'm "practicing" my putt to the side. Something doesn't seem right. But it's the first hole I've played in 6 or so years so I can't immediately figure out what's wrong. I walk up to the ball to try my hand at putting and as I'm lining up my boss walks over, laughing of course, takes my club away from me and says "try this - it's a putter. you can't putt with a pitching wedge."

Ah ha - that's what the "P" stands for.....

No comments: